Bet this is a mistake

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toddler

New User
Todd
But I said I'd take it. $6250.

What do you want to bet it's a mistake and they meant 26,250 :)

Todd

MikeL

New User
Michael
I saw that and was thinking the same thing. Something is off. And just how many cubic yards of pine park nuggets does it take to justify such a fine machine? :-D

Michael

Toddler

New User
Todd
Justify? What justify?

I had a 27 horse Kubota back in Vermont with a bucket, mower, rotary cutter, tiller, and 5' snow thrower.

Don't think justify, think "Big Toy"

Besides, I've got 11 acres I can use it on :)

Todd

Toddler

New User
Todd
:lol: Yeah. Our current house is on 1.5, but only .5 is cleared. I brought the Kubota down when we moved (sans the snow thrower). To cut the grass I drove around the house 3 times, did a K-turn, made one more 1/2 circle around.

Now I have a little sears riding mower, and my 5 y/o son wants the Kubota back. He could drive the Kubota if I pressed the hydro because it had power steering. No such luck with the craftsman.

I'll let you know if I get a response.

Todd

Toddler

New User
Todd
I don't know what flagged by user's means, but I was going to send them a link to this page if they responded saying it was an error.

There are great buys, and there's robbing the blind. I couldn't have taken deal that in good conscience. I told my wife the only way it was real was if some wife was getting revenge on her cheating spouse :) in which case I'd have happily helped her out :lol:

Dusty Sawyer

New User
David
Guys, lots of these "incredible deals" on CraigsList are scammers looking for personal information or to run a ruse of some type on you. This is probably why the deal has been flagged down.

Just take a look at this poor guy's troubles:

3quarksdaily

Toddler

New User
Todd
It's a scam!!! :D

Hi Todd,
I've received your email regarding my tractor on craigslist.org
The tractor is in full working condition and looks great.
It will be shipped from Canada as I now live here. I want to use a company that handles shipping and payment too. Something between escrow and cash on delivery. I get paid after they deliver the tractor to you in US. They have offices in Canada and there in US too. Using their service I can have the tractor delivered to your address in 5-7 working days and we can both feel safe about this. I will pay the shipping charges but I am not offering insurance. If you want it insured during shipping you need to pay an extra $200. Payment will be made after shipping starts and you will be able to confirm shipment with the company before making payment. Money will be sent to the escrow company. The escrow company is in Canada and your money will stay with them until they deliver the tractor.
We can agree on a testing period while the money will still be in escrow. I can give 3 days to have the tractor inspected at a dealer of your choice.
Please tell me if this will work out for you and if there is anything else that you would like to know.
Alex

I've asked for the name of the "escrow" company. If he sends it, I'll have it checked out. Next step, find out who you report this stuff to.

Anyone????????????????

Todd

DaveD

New User
Dave
Play him along. Ask him for pictures. Ask him where in Canada it is. Tell him you have some buddies all over Canada (give him some BS about working for an international company and you deal with people all over the US and Canada) and one of them can probably look at it for you. Ask about serial numbers, copies of titles, etc.

If you play this right you can drag it on for at least a couple of weeks.

Dusty Sawyer

New User
David
Let me preface what I have to say with a brief introduction of my qualifications. I worked 10 years for severeal private label credit card companies, General Electric Capital Credit Corp, and First Data Corporation investigating fraud and identifying risk mitigatgion opportunites based upon trends in perpetrator methods and patterns. I have also spent 2 years representing another firm in the county court systems in N.C. Subsequent to that I architected a system for what was then First Union, to centralize and track all fraudulent customer account activity nationaly. Perhaps the most embarrasing and difficult qualification I have earned is constantly getting my foolish mother-in-law out of one of these scams after another.

100%, without a doubt, I would bet my last dollar on it, THIS IS A SCAM !

Certain red flags should stick out:
  1. The tractor is in a location where you cannot physically see it
  2. Craigslist is primarily for local transactions, not interstate, and certainly not international trade.
  3. Craigslist is by no means EBay, where sellers are rated on previous experience and limited insurance is offered to you by a known party.
  4. The seller has "assured you" by suggesting a third party "escrow firm" of thier own choosing.
  5. Escrow accounts are used for managing the transaction of money, stocks, bonds, titles and other financial instruments. Houses and other physical items do not go through escrow, but the titles do. For a title to pass escrow, you would need an entirely different set of agencies involved because titles do not transfer between the US and Canada - if such were available for this type of tractor.
There are a few motivators here for the criminal.
  1. A low risk of being caught
  2. A huge backlog of incidences to be investigated
  3. Overburdened court systems and prisons
  4. The ability over the internet to run and endless number of scams concurrently
  5. A large payout for each successful mark they take down
  6. The ability to act with near complete anonymity through the internet using free access internet sites such as coffee shops and libaries
  7. The lack of manpower federal agencies have to deal with such crimes that do not involve large sums of money
  8. The fact that they now have your email address and can now use it again for other scams or sell it to be put on a scammers list of potential contacts that is similar to a telemarketers list for internet criminals.
Please visit Protect Yourself from Internet Scams - Subscribe to Internet ScamBusters

Federal Bureau of Investigation - Internet Fraud

Internet Fraud

Toddler

New User
Todd
Oh I know it's a scam :) although saddly I replied to it from work so he/she has my true name and I therefore won't do much. The funny thing is, I do have friends in Canada, after all, I lived in VT for almost a decade.

I honestly don't expect to hear back from him/her, but if the scammer sends me the escrow company name, I'll have it checked out and report it.

Regards,

Todd

Dusty Sawyer

New User
David
Todd,

Good, I hope I didn't go overboard pontificating on the subject. It's unfortunate, but most who fall for something like this never learn and will be defrauded over and over again. Rather sad for them, and frustrating for anyone wanting to help.

There is the rare deal out there that is legitimate even though it appears to be a scam. This is like saying you are going out today to buy THE winning jackpot lottery ticket though.

Keep me posted on how this tracks. While this is pretty much one of the classic styles, I'd be curious to see how much and how often this guy follows up. It's not to hard to figure out the actual location of his email provider. Depending upon any other information, links or hints he may have unknowingly provided there may be more to discover. Very often people are not anywhere near where they claim to be located.

Toddler

New User
Todd
Dave,

I do enough dumb things that someone trying to watch out for me is always welcome.

Todd

(PS. If I win happen to win the lottery, given the current jackpot, I'll want at least a 4320, not a 4210.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS