Best way to hang a shelf under a table

demondeacon

Dave
Senior User
I am an advanced beginner or early intermediate woodworker who has built onesmallish shaker style table. My wife would like me to now build a serving table for our dining room with a shelf. The table will be made from cherry and in shaker style. The tabletop will be 48 inches, and after deducting for overhang and the width of the legs, the shelf will be about 41 inches long and 14-15 inches wide. The challenge I see is to have the shelf sturdy enough to bear weight, but also allow for expansion in our humid summers. With this is mind, I have considered three different methods for attaching the shelf to the legs:

1. Dowels. I watched a Fine Woodworking video where the designer used dowels to attach the shelf to each chair leg. They did not really allow for much expansion as the table was a small nightstand and the shelf looked roughly 12-14 inches square. In my case, I was thinking of gluing the dowel into the chair leg but then cutting an elongated hole in the shelf side (like a Domino machine does) to allow for expansion front to back in the shelf. I dont really like this approach as I doubt it will be very sturdy to hold much weight since only one side of the dowel will be glued tight, and it will require a level of precision cuts that I likely have not yet mastered.

2. Put a thin stretcher on the front and back and have the shelf sit on the stretcher, and be the same width as the outer dimension of the table legs. I would use tenon and mortise joinery to attach the two stretchers to the front and back legs, similar to the table aprons. I would then use figure eights or small buttons to attach the shelf to the stretchers. This should be more sturdy than option 1 above.

3. Cut groves on the inside of each table leg using a router bit or dado blades. The shelf would then sit in the four grooves in each leg; after knocking off a 1/4 or 3/8 of each corner of the shelf to fit the groove which will of course be rounded. I have already made a large "spline jig" to make this work. Presumably I could also use a chisel to square off each groove so that I would not need to cut off each corner of the shelf. Cut accurately, this approach seems like it would look the best (no stretcher) and also most likely be the strongest as the grooves will likely be 5/8 to 3/4 deep allowing for good support of the shelf. It appears that I will need to allow for about 3/16 of play for the shelf to expand.

Are there other approaches that I have not listed which are likely better and also someone at my skill level can master? Would like to hear opinions on the best approach.

Wiley's Woodworks

Wiley
Corporate Member
My biggest concern is a 41" long shelf sagging under the weight you imply would be placed on it. The shelf needs to be braced lengthwise. My solution is stretcher bars on all four sides something on the order of 1 1/2- 2"W X 3/4"T; butt them into the inside faces of the legs with double dowel joinery. Lengthwise cut the shelf to fit flush with the outer surfaces of the legs, and notch out the corners to leave a 1/8" space from the inside face of each leg on the width side of the shelf. This time of year that should leave enough room for expansion. Then use figure 8 fasteners on the side stretchers. Widthwise cut it flush with the outer surfaces of the legs. You don't want any shelf edge sticking out because people will be walking past a serving table.

Make the shelf at least 3/4" thick or maybe match it to the table top thickness for aesthetic reasons. Overhang on all four sides will help hide the bulk of the stretchers. My 2 bitcoins: It always bothers me to look at a table where the space underneath is wasted or not usable. I always put a lower shelf in whenever possible, so I think your design is a good one.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
I have used a dado in the 4 legs to accept each shelf corner and glued dowels into the legs to accept the shelf corners.Have not run into any issues with wood expansion/contraction. Just have to be very accurate in dado cuts or dowel hole alignment.

Got lazy on my last little table build as the shelf was close to the floor. I just set the shelf on 1” steel shelf supports

Like this….

Attachments

• 815D694F-204F-4089-BE47-1DB428AB0164.jpeg
    815D694F-204F-4089-BE47-1DB428AB0164.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 163
  • 82447B5E-2F6B-4C2A-9DC4-3098477B9AF0.jpeg
    82447B5E-2F6B-4C2A-9DC4-3098477B9AF0.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 171
  • E7AEFD68-2950-46A3-945C-52139F7FA506.jpeg
    E7AEFD68-2950-46A3-945C-52139F7FA506.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 158

demondeacon

Dave
Senior User
My biggest concern is a 41" long shelf sagging under the weight you imply would be placed on it. The shelf needs to be braced lengthwise. My solution is stretcher bars on all four sides something on the order of 1 1/2- 2"W X 3/4"T; butt them into the inside faces of the legs with double dowel joinery. Lengthwise cut the shelf to fit flush with the outer surfaces of the legs, and notch out the corners to leave a 1/8" space from the inside face of each leg on the width side of the shelf. This time of year that should leave enough room for expansion. Then use figure 8 fasteners on the side stretchers. Widthwise cut it flush with the outer surfaces of the legs. You don't want any shelf edge sticking out because people will be walking past a serving table.

Make the shelf at least 3/4" thick or maybe match it to the table top thickness for aesthetic reasons. Overhang on all four sides will help hide the bulk of the stretchers. My 2 bitcoins: It always bothers me to look at a table where the space underneath is wasted or not usable. I always put a lower shelf in whenever possible, so I think your design is a good one.
Thanks for your comments. Very helpful. The shelf is currently 7/8 which matches the table top and should provide some decent rigidity. After finish scrapping and sanding they will likely both be nearer to 3/4. I just made some test cuts with my spline jig to notch the legs, and after this, don't feel 100% convinced in this approach. The stretcher approach appears more feasible. Just an fyi but the table top is 36 inches high and the shelf will be approximately 18 inches off the floor which will give about 17 inches of clearance. My concern about the weight is my wife currently has a box with flatware on a shelf of the unit she wants replacd.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS