Best Top Coat Over BLO?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
I am going to finish some ash end tables with BLO and was wondering what would the best top coat to put over it. I would like to spray it. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I have gotten some suggestions of poly or lacquer. I want to darken the wood a little but not a great deal.

:help:

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Well there is about a million answers to your question which will then raise a few hundred more questions.
Oil based polyurethane is probably going to be one of the most durable finishes you can apply in a home shop without special equipment. But it isn't easily repairable. Water based poly is much easier to spray in a home shop and offers good durability. Lacquer is great but I don't recommend spraying it unless you have the proper equipment. Water based lacquer takes some of that danger away. A non-poly varnish like Waterlox Gloss or Original S/F is a great choice for durability and repair-ability. General Finishes Arm -r -Seal is another excellent non-poly varnish with great protection and repair-ability. Also Behlens Rock Hard Table varnish is one of the most durable.
I just finished using GF Polyacrylic, and sprayed it for the first time. I am sold on it. I applied in in an enclosed shop and didn't get high from the fumes, it leveled really well and provided a nice durable finish without much color change like oil-based finishes can give. But if you want to darken the wood more that what the BLO has given you, an oil-based finish is the way to go. Waterlox will give a nice amber color, and most oil based varnish will give a slight yellowing and might darken more with time. I would either spray Waterlox Original S/F or GF Polyacrylic.

Dave:)

TracyP

Tracy
Well there is about a million answers to your question which will then raise a few hundred more questions.
Oil based polyurethane is probably going to be one of the most durable finishes you can apply in a home shop without special equipment. But it isn't easily repairable. Water based poly is much easier to spray in a home shop and offers good durability. Lacquer is great but I don't recommend spraying it unless you have the proper equipment. Water based lacquer takes some of that danger away. A non-poly varnish like Waterlox Gloss or Original S/F is a great choice for durability and repair-ability. General Finishes Arm -r -Seal is another excellent non-poly varnish with great protection and repair-ability. Also Behlens Rock Hard Table varnish is one of the most durable.
I just finished using GF Polyacrylic, and sprayed it for the first time. I am sold on it. I applied in in an enclosed shop and didn't get high from the fumes, it leveled really well and provided a nice durable finish without much color change like oil-based finishes can give. But if you want to darken the wood more that what the BLO has given you, an oil-based finish is the way to go. Waterlox will give a nice amber color, and most oil based varnish will give a slight yellowing and might darken more with time. I would either spray Waterlox Original S/F or GF Polyacrylic.

Man, that is a lot of information to digest. No wonder you are the top poster. The polyacrylic sounds like the way I may go. Who is a good supplier to buy from?

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I got mine from Klingspor. Probably not the best cost but very convenient. I am sure that you could find it at any other woodworking store like Woodcraft or order it on-line.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Tracy, if it something I a spraying I use Deft spray. Not the water based. If it is something I do not want to spray I use wipe on poly. With either make sure the BLO is dry. I mix mine 50/50 with mineral spirits and it is dry in a day or 2.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Dave, it's amazing how much information you put together in that single posting. :notworthy:

You're right, a million answers and as many questions for each answer. Finishing alone can take a lifetime to master. I think I just need to go and buy 6 or 8 different finishes, then invent projects to test them out :)

John Reeves

John Reeves
Corporate Member
Also think about warming the thinned BLO before application.. It will absorb better. Use a double boiler on a hot plate of stove top.

TracyP

Tracy
Also think about warming the thinned BLO before application.. It will absorb better. Use a double boiler on a hot plate of stove top.

Is there a certain temperature it needs to be or is luke warm good enough?

John Reeves

John Reeves
Corporate Member
Tracy,

I have never been that precise with it. I just got it as warm to hot as I had patience for. This will increase the viscosity and allow the thinned BLO to get into the grain or be absorbed more easily.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors