Bent Plywood for old theater seats

Status
Not open for further replies.

spark

New User
spark
I have 3 theater seats that the plywood has delaminated and rotted. Does anybody know how to make replacements, or who will make them. I can send a sample of the back and seat. I don’t have a bandsaw to cut the mold, which I know makes it fairly difficult to make.

Thanks
Neil

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Hard to tell without seeing them but I imagine those are formed in a mold in a big vacumn press. Not something common here. I've got some pieces of 3/32" bending Poplar I'll sell you cheap if someone has a way to create a form. Failing that, best advice is to shop the surplus equipment dealers (NC Goverment Surplus place near the State Fairgrounds?), flea markets and antique/junk shops.

fergy

New User
Fergy
Those are usually made in a big press...the plywood is manufactured in that shape.

There are several companies across the country that deal in selling parts to repair theater seats. It's not uncommon on a theater rennovation to refinish and repair all of the seats in the theater rather than purchasing new. A google search should help you track them down, because for the life of me I can't remember the name of the company we used when I managed venues in Indiana and Kentucky.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
If you want to bring one out here next week some time we could take a shot at it. with bending ply and an easy to make mold I think it can be done. need pics!

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
There's an outfit here in Fayetteville that does that for school chairs. pretty specific presses, tho', but I'll bet Fred can do it!

nelsone

New User
Ed
Bending ply and a form should get you squared away. A vacuum bag would be nice, but not necessary. Contact Fred. Sounds like he has the right idea!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS