Belt Types and Vibration

Status
Not open for further replies.

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
How many of you have/are using the "add a link" type belts on your equipment vs. standard V belts. Are they good, better, or best? Why? And most importantly, do they lessen vibration of the tool?

I'm thinking of replacing the belt on my Powermatic TS and some other stuff as well.

Where do you acess them?

Lots of questions but I know you'll have answers/opinions! Thanks in advance.

:notworthy:

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Link belts can help to reduce tool vibration because they don't have a memory. A standard V-belt can get a hump in it from staying in the same spot for too long (memory). In addition to a link belt upgrade a set of machined pulleys can really help also.

web20051big.jpg

Link belts are available at WC as well as most other wooworking retailers. I can't seem to find a good source for the machined pulleys right now:confused:

Dave:)

Last edited:

NZAPP1

New User
Nick
Link belts are available at WC as well as most other wooworking retailers. I can NOT seem to find a good source for the machined pulleys right now:confused:

Dave:)

Link belts and machined pulleys can be had from McMaster Carr and cost less then from local stores

sapwood

New User
Roger
Reggie,
If your Powermatic TS is a cabinet saw with 3 pulleys I'm not sure you would gain much by using link belts. And the cost would be much higher. However, it it's a single pulley system there could be substantial improvement.

JMTCW,
Roger

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
I've used them on my Grizzly 14" BS and 6" jointer and they seem to work good. I think some members had trouble with them on contractor's saws.

Jimmy:)

Chipper

New User
Steve
Don't use them for multi belt installations. The length is never the same for two belts. They really shine in applications where the motor is allowed to pivot and the weight provides belt tension. Like Dave said, less lumps going around making the motor jump.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
They link belts really shine on a contractor's saw, where the hanging weight of the motor tensions the belt. I did a post recently on this. On applications where the motor is in constant tension, I don't think they are worth the extra expense. As for machined pulleys, all the cast iron pulleys I have used are MACHINED. The die cast ones aren't though, but I haven't seen a machine with die cast pulleys in years. Sears used to use them to reduce costs. Belt drive furnace fans also used the die cast pulleys. Wait, drill presses use them to get the speed adjustment, as a multi-step pulley. Klingspor stocks link belts. The price is pretty much the same everywhere.

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Gentlemen, thank you for your responses. All my tools are single belt, so I think I'm gonna start with my PM table saw and go from there. :thumbs_up

What I really like about this site is that within 15 minutes I can have "experienced advice" from folks like you. (And then there's always DaveO!)

:biggrin:

alleng

New User
allen
my ts has a flat belt,with ribs on the bottom. much like the surpintine belts on newer cars.the pullys have matching gerooves for the ribs to ride in. tome it seems smooth,but i have never used a ts with belts,just direct drive jobsite saws. i think the thinner belts are smoother than their v counterparts,thinner belt....less memory. but thats just my theroy. never had a slippage problem,but the belt is about an inch wide or so. i dont know how many saws use this setup,mine is a ridgid,and so far its been a pretty darn good saw. im not even sure if the pullies are avalable for other saws,but it might be worth checking into. as for the linkbelts, i have never used them so i cant say.... mabie i shoul;dnt have said anything then8-O. anyways,good luck and i hope this helps

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
Will those add-a-link belt suitable for use in a multi-speed Delta 10" drill press?
I am not sure how it copes with being moved from pulley to pulley.

JCCat

New User
JC
I have not bought from these guys yet but am definitely thinking about it, i have the new delta contractors saw with the upgraded fence from Lowes, hope this link works for you: www.in-lineindistries.com/performance_pak.html. they have the link belts and the machined pulleys. Also check out their contractor saw PALS, a very nice alignement system for the blade.

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Reggie,

When going for belts, remember to check the width, the belts come in 3/8", 1/2", and 5/8" widths.

Jimmy

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
In-line Industries will most likely be at the Charlotte show in March. They have been doing the show circuit for years. You can look, and ask questions before buying. They are on my list of vendors to see.

M

McRabbet

I plan to look very seriously at buying a Dubby from them -- it is the cat's meow as a mitering jig.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS