Belt Gave Out

Status
Not open for further replies.

navy1990

New User
Matt
The other day I was doing some turning. (And I don't care what LOML says, it is alot cheaper than therapy :gar-Bi) Everything was spinning really well for the first half hour or so, but then all heck broke loose. My wood quit spinning, but the motor was still going. I open up the belt cover and find that my belt had come off the pulleys. I didn't think anything of it and put it back on. I closed everything up and fired up to get back to my "therapy". Well, the wood didn't even get up to speed before the belt slipped off again. Well, shut it down, open up the belt cover (jump down, turn around, pick a bale of cotton), take the belt off and find that it was twisted in one spot. The twist was so bad that I can't straighten it out.

SWMBO says that I can buy a replacement belt, but if anyone knows of a way to take the twist out of a belt I would love the tips. It's not that the replacement is expensive (only $15 through Penn State Industries where I got the lathe), but why spend the money if I don't have to.

gator

George
Corporate Member
You might take the belt to an auto parts store (NAPA, AutoZone, Pep Boys etc) and see if you can get a real close match in width and length.

George

ehpoole

Ethan
If it is only a very mild twist, such as what may result from a belt being left less than fully seated for an extended time, then you may be able to straighten it by mounting it under normal tension and warming the belt at the point of the twist.

However, if the twist is severe OR if the belt keeps jumping off the pulleys then it is most probable that you have broken several of the internal tensioning cords, either from normal wear and tear or from trying to stretch a very tight belt onto a pulley. If any of the cords have been damaged then the belt is useless and replacement your only option. If your old belt failed from extended use, then carry on as you have, but if it was damaged due to stretching it over a pulley, then, when mounting the new belt, mount the new belt untensioned around all the pulleys and then apply tension to the belt -- do not try to stretch the new belt when mounting it.

Anatomy of a V-Belt
Wrapped-VBelt-diagram-Opti-e1281466967991.gif

You might also wish to look into a replacement link belt for the replacement. They are more costly than traditional V-Belts, but they are very forgiving, simple to adjust and install and are not damaged from stretching over a pulley. They can also reduce transmission of vibrations.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Also check pulley alignment. If the pulleys are not in line with one another, it will create a condition which induces the belt to jump off & consequently break the belt. This is usually caused by a loose set screw on either shaft. Use a straightedge against the outer flanges of the larger diameter and get them aligned.
I've never seen a link belt in 5/16" size, not to say they aren't made. Auto parts stores seldom carry belts smaller than 3/8" because of the horsepower capacities. You may try an HVAC supply store as well. WW Grainger would be my first stop. They have a website.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS