Beginning to Learn to turn segments

Status
Not open for further replies.

Charlie

Charlie
Corporate Member
Donn,

You are welcome to join in on one of my segmented workshops being held on Feb 15th, 22nd or one possibly in March.
I'm just up the road from you (Lake Wheeler area). I love to help people jump off the deep end, into the vortex.:rotflm:

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Well, its beginning to look a little like a vase, at least on the outside. A lot of progress this evening. The top and bottom rings are Walnut. The Maple blocks attached to the faceplates are sacrificial. The two halves are not yet glued together, they are just held together by pressure from the tail vise.

DSC_0501_800x532_.jpg

DSC_0502_800x532_.jpg

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
Charlie, thank you for the invitation! I'll be out-of-town this weekend, but I may take you up on the 22nd.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Ken,
That looks GREAT!
Better than a "First attempt!!!"

Rick M

New User
Rick
Ken, when I get around to doing some segmented turning I hope my first ones turn out as well and I'll be immensely proud.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Inside mostly finished - have to fine tune the inside of the top after I free it from the waste block. Outside has been finished turned and scraped, sanded and the first coat of Wipe-On Poly applied.

Here's what it looks like.

DSC_0506_800x532_.jpg

Charlie

Charlie
Corporate Member
Looking good. You did a good job lining up the vertical joints.

Last edited:

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Learned a lot from this trial first attempt. If I did this particular one over, I'd move the middle Walnut ring down one to be at the widest point of the vase and would definitely have done the bottom a little differently from the get-go instead of having to retrofit a floating center. Overall, I learned a lot from this attempt and the next one will be much better. Starting with using at least 16 segments per ring instead of 8.

Thanks for all the kind comments on this first attempt. Charlie has been an immense help during the process and I hope to learn even more next week at his workshop.

- Ken.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
The finishing touches. Fine tuning the plug for the bottom - only glued in two spots to allow for contraction/expansion.

DSC_0510_800x532_.jpg

How I fit it to finish the bottom plug.

DSC_0511_800x532_.jpg

And the final result. Signed.

DSC_0512_800x532_.jpg

And the finished product.

DSC_0514_800x532_.jpg

DSC_0516_800x532_.jpg

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
GREAT job Ken. My head is still swimming from my session last week. I need some serious shop time.

William Roscoe

New User
William
Ken,
I just got a Supermax (?) 19/38 drum sander that has a min. length of 2.25" for those rings. That was one of the reasons for buying that one instead of a larger one with 2 drum heads. I get to try it out tomarrow for the first time.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
I've really been very pleased with the operation of the Supermax that I purchased. Works great. It will find a lot of use in my shop now that I have it.

MagGeorge

New User
George
It's a beautiful segmented vase. Like the shape and colors. Congratulations! Pretty impressive for a starter project. Looking forward to more of your turnings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors