beginners carving stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark Stewart

New User
Mark
A woman I work with has ask me to ask all of you about the following. Her husband has some interest in doing a little relief carving, she has decided to start him out for Christmas and needs recomendations on a starter set of tools as well as a book for simple patterns. I am also asking for myself as I hope to take a class soon.

Thanks
Mark

M

McRabbet

Mark Strom (Stave) is doing a second class for the Western NC Woodworkers Association on December 3rd -- if there are spaces available, I can let you know after tomorrow. He provides patterns and the class is just over $100. Three tool are required.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I highly recommend Mark's class. I learned more in one day with him than ten years on my own. Seeing it done and having someone to correct your bad habits is worth every penny he charges. The three tools he starts with are a straight chisel of 3/8 to 1/2 inch or so, a 1/4 to 3/8 inch V-tool and a 1/4 to 3/8 inch straight gouge. I would also get a 1/2 to 5/8 shallow gouge in addition to those.

He shows you how to sharpen the tools, how to hold and guide the tools and talks about design, lighting and textures that enhance the carvings. Each of which could take up a whole day to learn and a lifetime to master, but he covers it very well during the day. He definitely gives you the basics and leaves you with many things to ponder and even helps you add your own ideas to the mix.

More than tools and better than any book you walk away with the skills to build as high as you want to grow.

stave

New User
stave
Jeez guys I'm blushing and now I have a "reputation" to live up to as well.

Most relief carving is centered around just a few tools. The width of the cutting edge depends on the scale of the work to be done..larger the work the larger the tools. I think a good start for small relief carvings would be one each of the following:

#12 parting tool 3-4mm

#3 gouge 6-8mm
either the 3 or 5 in a fishtail pattern would aid in carving tight spaces
#5 gouge 6-8mm

#7 gouge 6mm

#9 gouge 5-7mm

If that is to many tools at once then the # 7 would be optional. Hope this helps. I do not know where to get patterns. I am more than happy to help any way that I can so PM me if you need to.

Stave

Mark Stewart

New User
Mark
Mark,Thanks for the imput but what about brands and I think what she is asking is, is there a starter set kind of like the turning tool sets you can buy. You know like a boxed set. Brenda is a nice lady who says her husband will retire in January and she is looking to help him find a new hobbie. He has done some types of carving in the past I think. But thanks for the imput .

Thanks MArk

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
M

McRabbet

Due to the terminal illness of the wife of our host for the December 3rd carving class sheduled with Mark Strom in Fletcher, we are postponing the class until a new date can be established after the first of the year.

richlife

New User
Rich
I have a Flexcut set and am very happy with them.
http://www.traditionalwoodworker.com/Flexcut-Starter-Sets/products/733/
However, many people don't care for them because they do flex a lot. I wouldn't recommend them for large carving where you have to hog out a lot of wood but they are fine for relief carving.

For books and patterns check out Lora Irish's site:
http://www.carvingpatterns.com/

and
Chris Pye at:
http://www.chrispye-woodcarving.com/home

pete

I've been carving for a number of years (though not as prolifically or as proficiently as Pete or Mark) and have collected by trial and error a nice set of carving tools for almost all needs. But above all, I completely agree with Pete about the Flexcut tools and they have become essentially the only new carvers I might buy.

I would recommend any of the following sets which are found at Amazon. The tool quality is Flexcut -- the difference is in the number of pieces and extras.

Small: http://www.amazon.com/Flexcut-Carve...LE/ref=sr_1_19?ie=UTF8&qid=1321806782&sr=8-19

Medium: http://www.amazon.com/FLEXCUT-Carvi...BE1Y/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1321806735&sr=8-6

Large: http://www.amazon.com/Flexcut-Start...XTTK/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1321806735&sr=8-4

The Small has a basic set similar to what Mark suggests/requires. The Large is the set in my own current wish list just to completely fill out my carving set without buying individual tools which tends to get expensive fast.

Another nice options to help keep the tools sharp, is this: http://www.amazon.com/Flexcut-Tool-...f=sr_1_54?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1321807640&sr=1-54

Notice that the strop set is included with the Large set above. And while I don't think the supplied shorter handles are the best, this provides a good starting point before purchasing individual longer handled gouges.

Edit: BTW, I did note Pete's reservation about Flexcut for large carvings, but I can't really share that. I do most of my work "in-the-round" with hardwoods (cherry, black walnut, etc.) and while 12 - 24" is not really large, I have no issues with the Flexcut tools. As he says, for major hogging, you might want a couple of select "Firmer" gouges, but most people may never get to that requirement.

Rich

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
I've been carving for a number of years (though not as prolifically or as proficiently as Pete or Mark)

I've seen your website and I can't speak for Mark but you are certainly as, if not more, prolific and proficient than me. (or is it I?) :)

As for handles; it's easy to make your own. Just drill a 3/8" hole in some square stock and shape as you please. When I made mine I was going to epoxy the blades in but found it wasn't necessary.
You can see my set in the background of the picture.
Grotesque_WIP_1.jpg

pete

stave

New User
stave
The Flexcut tools are fine as are Pfiel (Swiss), Stubai (Austrian), and Hirsch (German). Henry Taylor Acorn brand is fine as well. I prefer long to intermediate handles having never been able to control the palm tools. Handles can be replaced and handmade to suit although that does not sound like an option to begin with.

Just about any of the beginner sets are fine from any of the manufacturers. Everyone has a different take on what to start with and that is based mainly on how the person making the recommendation was taught. There are different traditions of carving and all are valid in their methods and all have different variations on what constitutes a beginners set.

Most important to understand is if the set includes a #12, 3, 5 and a deeper gouge (by sweep) then that is a starter set. Basically everything is a variation on those sweeps and sizes. As far as I am concerned there are no true rules to carving nor is there a right or wrong way. There is what works and what does not. With experience you can carve against the grain, avoid stop cuts, and break most all of the "rules". Pick a set, get a soft wood like basswood and a pattern and start carving. Join a carving club or take a class and just enjoy the process!

Stave

Pop Golden

New User
Pop
You might take a look at a Warren set. Includes both knives & gouges. My supplier is MDI Carving in Main.

Bill "Pop" Golden

richlife

New User
Rich
I've seen your website and I can't speak for Mark but you are certainly as, if not more, prolific and proficient than me. (or is it I?) :)

As for handles; it's easy to make your own. Just drill a 3/8" hole in some square stock and shape as you please. When I made mine I was going to epoxy the blades in but found it wasn't necessary.
You can see my set in the background of the picture.
Grotesque_WIP_1.jpg

pete

Thanks, Pete. I appreciate the comment about the handles, as I had planned on the epoxy option (that's what I did for my 16" modified drill bits).

And nice goblin -- the arms can be tricky since they won't stay still to be captured in wood. :gar-La;

Rich

MT native

New User
Jane
Mark,
I don't know where you live but I just posted a thread about a new evening relief woodcarving class scheduled to start in Jan at the Sawtooth School for the Visual Arts in Winston-Salem. Thanks to a generous grant the SSVA has build a new Wood Studio and my understanding is that they will provide all tools. Check out the post and have her husband call Sara Stine for more information if he thinks it will work out for him.
Jane

Mark Stewart

New User
Mark
Man I wish I could but I lvein Spruce Pine and work in morganton thats just to much of a hall for me to take. If I lived in hickory Id be all over that class.

Thanks for the info.

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS