Been a little bored

Dee2

Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
Okay, so we're living in a condo about 1/3 the size of the house we sold in NC. A single car attached garage is about 70% storage plus the old 40's model lathe. Tired of being cooped up and waiting for the closing on the new house and shop (reveal later).

Anyway, daughter visits and we talk a little about projects and I mention that her daughter and I were going to make a duck call sometime. The granddaughter has lost interest since. So the daughter says why don't you make one for everyone and give them to the family at our Xmas retreat in the mountains. So I did....

Unknown-1.jpeg

Bodies are mostly red heart with a few from walnut. Finish is walnut oil for most of them and Howard's Feed 'N wax for the rest. Can't tell you which is which anymore.

Two old people (>65), 4 middle age (30-42), 2 young adults (20 & 21) and 3 children (7, 9, 11) and a 5 mo old (no duck call for her) in one house.

Christmas will be just ducky and I may be quackers by the time we leave.

Okay, it's going to be a pun time in the Western NC mountains.

What's your pun?

Last edited:

Dee2

Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
Rob/Raymond,
Very good, LOL.
But I'm still paying the 'bill' for the B'nB. And we'll be 'flying' low in a rented minivan North and South.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Can I order some? Just put it on my bill. If not, can you make a duckumentary on how to turn these? Hope you close on the new house before the weather turns fowl.

I know, I'm a wisequacker....

bowman

Board of Directors, Webmaster
Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
No need to duck out of the festivities, enjoy your stay out of the blinds.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
@Dee2 I had a fewto throw at you, but Bas' were the best, my thought is to bring hearing protection to the Christmas festivities - more than a suggestion!

Dee2

Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
All the feathers here are well oiled so comments don't ruffle. In fact, I think I use duck grease to for keeping my hat water resistant. ;)

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
All the feathers here are well oiled so comments don't ruffle. In fact, I think I use duck grease to for keeping my hat water resistant. ;)
I don't know which emogi is "UGH!"

Dee2

Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
An update:

First, I'm no duck hunter. I made the calls without any consideration for technical accuracy related to sound. I had some walnut on hand and thought the red heart would look cool. Frankly, I can't tell the difference in sound. I just wanted wood that was non-allergenic for the most part. I know some folks have nut allergies and checked with the fam - none of my peeps have allergies so I used the walnut.

FWIW, I bought kits from WoodCraft and Craft Supplies USA. All of the WC kits fit nicely into the required 5/8" holes. The Craft Supplies did not fully insert into the 5/8" holes. The rest of the story is that I stabilized the red heart by heating to dry and heating to cure the Cactus Juice - this was after I drilled the holes. As you would expect, the round hole went oval. Still the WC kits slid right in with a hand bump or two. Not so the CS kits.

We are currently in the NC mountains with the fam and exchanged gifts yesterday. The duck calls went last. There was 5 mins of joy, laughter, and quacks - at least until the 5 mo old got scared. Still, I won the Christmas best gift competition - yeah it's a family thing.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS