Beech wood Blanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

sash plane

New User
steve
Hay,

I'm looking for some beech blanks 4x4x12 to make a set of Hollow and Rounds molding planes with.
I don't want to use lam blanks. and at this point green wood would be ok....
I've been calling around for at least 20+ places...and nothing. It's all 1" riff cut or flooring junk:BangHead:

I'm to the point i'm might be willing to go find a few beech logs and bring it back to have cut up into blanks myself....take what I want and sell the rest on ebay or something....????? but the problem with that ...... where can you find beech logs at....lol....:nah:

Is anybody else interested in making molding planes......???

Thanks for any help....

Steve C.

timf67

New User
Tim
Not sure if you have tried any of the turning wood supply houses or even Ebay. The size you are looking for is a common size for turning blanks. though beech isn't a common turning wood, you may get lucky? :dontknow:

just did a quick search for beech turning blanks and found this. it isn't quite what you are looking for, but getting close:

http://www.turningblanks.net/servlet/the-Beech/Categories

Sully

New User
jay
I don't have any 4x4 beech, but we cut a lot of beech off the farm. What's the best way to saw billets for making planes, quartersawn?

We've cut a lot of 4/4, 5/4, and 8/4. Next time we cut a tree, I'll see about getting it cut for plane making.

sash plane

New User
steve
Sully...

Oh man ya....that would be great.... Yes quarter sawn beech for all plane.
4x4 was what i would use for plane like jointer or jack....that I was also going to make.
i would have resewed the 4x4 into blanks so on a 4x4 you could get say 4 hollows out of it...
the reason I'm looking so hard now...is it has to be dry....very very dry.... but i was told of a way to microwave them dry.....not saying i would try that....but....at least on 1 I might give it a go...

I could get by with 2x4x12 blanks... and grain side to side(2"wide) and 4" tall..... to make the
Hollows and Rounds....

2"
---------
| Grain....|
|====== |
|........... | 4"
|====== |
|........... |
|====== |
|........... |
|====== |
|........... |
|........... |
---------

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I know where a 30 inch beech trunk is. It was cut a couple years ago and is laying on top of a big pile of wood, so it is off the ground. It's probably 24 feet long.

sash plane

New User
steve
Hmmmm.....

You think that log is still ok..... 2 yr's out side... It might be spalted by now...
Witch is not a bad thing for spalted wood guys..... might be some gold there.....lol

but then if it is still white beech wood and 2 yrs dry.....oh man.....that would be enuff blanks to do a whole set of Hollows and Rounds.....and snipe bills......

Sully

New User
jay
What about qs 3x3 blanks ? The reason I ask is that I might actually have some quartersawn 3x3 beech billets. I'll have to check my stash to be sure.

sash plane

New User
steve
molding plane are 3.5" tall..... I have found a few 3x3 beech blanks....but no 4x4...
that is the bummer part.... I think im going to back up and look at maybe making them in
hard maple or even cherry....i have found 4x4 blanks in them woods.....

then for later on
look for somebody with some land with beech trees on them and sweet talk them.... ;)

titan04

New User
Josh
I have some 4x4x108 beech posts that are drying in Statesville, I plan on going that way next weekend, have to see if I can get to them.

sash plane

New User
steve
titan04,

Hay that's good news.....
Check out the grain and if it is side to side and not corner to corner, and no knots that would be a good blank for molding planes......

sash plane

New User
steve
Check out what I found at Bush Gardens Williamsburg this weekend.... this is a baby, compared to the big mama's.... only to have a saw and some duct tape.... they would have never missed a 8' piece...he he he :wink_smil

0328101439a.jpg

showphoto.php

titan04

New User
Josh
I brought back a few of the pieces with me this weekend if you want to see them :) These came from 30"-38" diameter beeches

bassndboat

New User
Mark
I have a large beech log at the saw mill now. I cut it off of my property last summer. It will probably be sawn in a few weeks. If you are interested in some of it just let me know. I can get it cut to what ever size you need.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS