Bed side stool for Mom - DONE

Status
Not open for further replies.

toolferone

New User
Tom
My Mom's bed sits really high and she has been using a cheap plastic stool to help get into bed. Mom & Dad asked me if I could make something nicer. I went over to their house yesterday and made measurements and a quick sketch to be approved. I picked up a sapele board and 2 @ 2" sq by 30" long sticks at Woodcraft. My Dad came over this morning and here is were we are at. All the pieces are cut and routed. Sanding, glueing, and finishing is what is left. I used M&T construction and will use the metal clips to attach the top.

It is 12"d x 18"w x 9.25"t. The apron is 3" tall and the legs are 1.75 sq.

Stool 4.JPG Stool 1.JPG

Last edited:

RandyJ

Randy
Corporate Member
Re: Bed side stool for Mom - wip

Nice stool, Tom! Mom should be happy and much safer with that one.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member

A few years ago I made a stool for the high bed in our guest room. My Mom liked it when she came to visit, so I made her one. Then my Sister-In-Law came and she liked it, so I made her one. Then my wife decided she needed help getting into our bed, so I made her one. You see where this is leading, right? :gar-Bi

Seriously, your stool looks really great. How high is it? All the ones I've made are 8".

Bill

toolferone

New User
Tom

It is now glued up. I did the 2 long stretchers first then the whole thing. It is all sanded to 180 grit and Mom has picked out a stain. I should have time on Friday to stain it.

IMG_1325.jpeg IMG_1328.jpeg

toolferone

New User
Tom

Here it is done. Mom loves it. Two coats of General Finish Mahogany stain and 5 coats of rattle can lacquer. Dad glued on some thin rubber feet so it wont slide on their hardwood floors.

stool done.jpg

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member

Good on ya, Tom for giving Mom a helpful stool. After all, you know, she probably gave you a helping hand a few times.

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe

Very nice, Tom :thumbs_up

You may want to test your stool before giving it to your mother. I made a 12 X 18 X 5 bed step box for one of our taller beds. The top proved too slick for a sleepy person to safely use while getting out of bed. Funny now, not so much then!
I put some shelf liner on the top and now the middle of the night cussing has ended. :rotflm:

toolferone

New User
Tom

Thanks Joe, I have passed the info on to my Dad who will check it out before Mom uses it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors