Bed post repair

Status
Not open for further replies.

CatButler

New User
Bryan
The bedpost on my son's bed split. This was originally my wife's bed made by my father-in-law when she left the crib. It has been in the family for over 40 years, which is strange because my wife says she's only 35, although she has been 35 for the last 10 years. The post was made by laminating 2 pieces of what I think is mahogany and it must have been exactly centered when it was turned. It appears to have failed exactly on the glue joint and is in 2 symmetrical pieces. The surface is a bit rough, but both sides are completely flat. My guess to the glue would be original Titebond. My inclination would be to scrape the 2 sides clear of any old glue, lightly sand, re-glue, and clamp. I will then have to repair the mortice which should be fairly straight forward. This is my first real furniture repair so advice is welcome.

P1010584.JPG

View image in gallery
P10105831.JPG

View image in gallery

lbtripp

New User
Lyell
That is exactly the way I would repair the piece and I have repaired my fair share of furniture.

Lyell

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
If I were really worried about keeping alignment perfect, I might see if someone in Cary or Raleigh wants to demonstrate a Domino (not me; I don't do straight/flat)...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS