Beach House Kitchen Makeover

Status
Not open for further replies.

rcflyer23

Kevin
Corporate Member
I came down to the in-laws beach house in Holden Beach, NC for a relaxing weekend at the beach. We all got talking about things to do to the house. They are trying to sell it and we were trying to improve things to make it more attractive to potential buyers. Well I opened my mouth and gave them an idea and very quickly I was going at it.

Here is what I started with.
IMG_3436_1024x768.JPG

View image in gallery

We wanted to down play all the pink between the cabinets and the counter tops.

So I started with the stack of wood in the above picture.

I then started attaching them to the walls and it was actually starting to look like something and it didn't look horrible.

IMG_3439_1024x768.JPG

View image in gallery

The first wall is done time to call it a night.

IMG_3442_1024x768.JPG

View image in gallery

Getting the second wall started.

IMG_3452_1024x768.JPG

View image in gallery

Here are a couple of the highlights. I changed the orientation of the wood next to the window and added a couple small shelves and then changed the orientation of the wood over the stove. We gave it kind of a whitewash/distressed look and I think it came out pretty good.

If you interested there are more picture on my blog. Just look at my signature.

Thanks,

Kevin

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Hey, Kev! Next time you want to go somewhere for a "relaxing weekend," give ME a call! :icon_thum I've got several "relaxing" projects that need finishing!
:rotflm:

Great job, man. And fast too!:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

If I'd started something like that, I'd be old and gray before it was finished.
:icon_scraWait a minute! I AM old and gray! Is that my problem?
:wsmile:

rcflyer23

Kevin
Corporate Member
Thanks Reggie... No kidding... I actually didn't mind. I love doing this type of stuff and had a lot of fun doing it. Now that I have done this my mother-in-law has several other projects she wants me to do. I figure they are good experience and I get a tool or two out of the whole thing. :gar-Bi

I am pretty happy with it. The biggest thing I would change if I could would probably be to pull the outlets and switches flush with the new back splash, there just wasn't enough wire there to be safe and I REALLY didn't want to get into trying to extend the wiring, especially since I really don't know how and didn't have a chance to ask all my buddies here at NCWW....

I have been informed that I will be having Several "Relaxing" weekends over the next couple of months. :)

Hey, Kev! Next time you want to go somewhere for a "relaxing weekend," give ME a call! :icon_thum I've got several "relaxing" projects that need finishing!
:rotflm:

Great job, man. And fast too!:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

If I'd started something like that, I'd be old and gray before it was finished.
:icon_scraWait a minute! I AM old and gray! Is that my problem?
:wsmile:

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Looks great, Kevin. :thumbs_up:thumbs_up
Insofar as the outlets/switches go, there should have been enough slack in the wire in the boxes to extend them the additional 3/4". There is a box extension ring/sleeve available that can be used for these applications. You'll need to get some extra long 6-32 screws for the devices.

rcflyer23

Kevin
Corporate Member
Looks great, Kevin. :thumbs_up:thumbs_up
Insofar as the outlets/switches go, there should have been enough slack in the wire in the boxes to extend them the additional 3/4". There is a box extension ring/sleeve available that can be used for these applications. You'll need to get some extra long 6-32 screws for the devices.

I will keep that in mind Dennis. I thought there was something like that out there and I might give that a try in the future. When I talked to my father-in-law he had mentioned that the couple he tried to pull out some didn't come very far, so I just took his word for it and went this route. I have a few more projects to do around here that might call for the extension. I will give it a try then.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
If the wire doesn't come out far enough, you may need to turn off the power (DUH) and remove the device. Then, add a short piece of wire to each lead being sure to replace them on the proper screws. Silver screw for neutral (white wire), brass screw for hot wire (black or red), and green screw for ground wire (green). Pay close attention if you have a 3 way or 4 way switch, as they are a little more tricky.

rcflyer23

Kevin
Corporate Member
If the wire doesn't come out far enough, you may need to turn off the power (DUH) and remove the device. Then, add a short piece of wire to each lead being sure to replace them on the proper screws. Silver screw for neutral (white wire), brass screw for hot wire (black or red), and green screw for ground wire (green). Pay close attention if you have a 3 way or 4 way switch, as they are a little more tricky.

I am assuming I would use a wiring nut to join the two leads together or would I need to solder them together and wrap them? I am as far from an electrician and you can be. I can put up lights and that's pretty much where things stop for me. :BangHead:

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
If you're not comfortable doing this, DO call a licensed electrician. Working on someone else's house in the capacity of a licensed trade can lead to all sorts of problems in the event of a malfunction due to your efforts.

rcflyer23

Kevin
Corporate Member
If you're not comfortable doing this, DO call a licensed electrician. Working on someone else's house in the capacity of a licensed trade can lead to all sorts of problems in the event of a malfunction due to your efforts.

I would probably be comfortable with it I just would want to make sure I did it correctly and kept things to code. I would pull in an electrician if I was over my head. I don't want to be the one responsible for it, especially since they are trying to sell the place. :) Thanks for the advice.....

Oh and here are some addition a pictures..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS