Bathroom vanity, what to finish with?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pslamp32

New User
Peter
Hey all! I was thinking about designing a bathroom vanity. What finish is appropriate to stand the ravages of steam and water. Are there any other design considerations or advice from others who have attempted this sort of furniture? I'm thinking ply carcasse with hardwood framing though I'm open to suggestions. Thanks, Peter

gator

George
Corporate Member
Peter -

I am just starting to make one (LOML has been after me for 2½ years). I am making the cabinet from 3/4" Birch Ply and will be using red oak for face frame and doors/drawer fronts. I am planning on using Satin poly (wipe-on) for a finish on the red oak exterior and painting the insides with white enamal.

George

T

toolferone

I painted mine.

hb%20vanity%201.jpg

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I would either paint or use a film based finish like poly or lacquer. Maybe shellac as an undercoat, but not a top coat. I wouldn't use wipe ons like tung oil or BLO.

rhett

New User
rhett
I agree with Travis on a film finish. I would opt for a pre-catalyzed laquer, it flows nice and dries quick.

pslamp32

New User
Peter
Sounds good. I guess I just thought more than normal protection might be needed. No worries I guess. Thanks! :eusa_clap

T

toolferone

Hey Tom, what wood did you use in yours? Thanks.

I used soft maple. It is my favorite paint grade wood. It is still nice and hard and paints great. I do use popular sometimes but it dents easier.

T

toolferone

Cheap 1/2" ply for the bottom, back, & dividers. Baltic Birch for the sides and door panels.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS