Bandsaw blades

Status
Not open for further replies.

arnie

New User
Arnie
What is the best way to clean and keep my blades clean? I've seen many ways to do this.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
You're right, there are many ways to do this, and plenty of products you can buy. Here's what I've found to be very effective (and cheap) at cleaning all types of blades:

Fill a pan w/ enough water to cover the blade (w/ a band saw blade it has to be coiled up). Add a spoon full of baking soda and stir a little. Let sit for 24 hours. Use a stiff brush or brass brush to gently remove the loosened dirt, pitch, and grime. Rinse w/ water and dry. I usually spray some WD40 or similar lubricant on the blade if I'm not going to use it right away.

HTH

Bill

bluewing92

New User
Norm
Here is what I do. I take a sheet of paper towel and fold it several times until it is about 2 or 3 inch square. I then spray Pam (cooking spray) on it and get it good and wet. I pinch the blade between the paper towel and turn the top wheel backwards. Needless to say I have unplugged the saw. I spin the wheel until the blade has made several complete revolutions. Then I take a plastic figure brush (the kind you keep by the sink to scrub your hands with) I apply pressure to one side of the blade and spin backwards again several times then do the other side. Finally I wipe the blade down with a Pam paper towel again and it is ready for use. This takes a whole 10 minutes if you really take your time.
Of course if you wait until the blade is really gummed up it make take longer. Or easier to do as Bill said.

I don't use any blades larger then 3/8".

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
I use a plastic oil pan from Harbor Freight. I fill the pan with a 50/50 mixture of water and Simple Green, and soak the blade (coiled) for 5-10 minutes. Then I use a toothbrush to clean off the gunk. Rinse and dry.
As for keeping blades clean, that's easy - don't use them :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS