Band Saw Oops..no bad blood, just bad blade..

Status
Not open for further replies.

llucas

luke
Senior User
So, as a full disclosure, I am generally "safe" around power tools but was using my Rikon 10-345 18" BS yesterday to round up a bowl blank in a "not quite safe" way....the surface of the blank against the table had been partially flattened for stability...but obviously not enough stability. While I was trying to freehand round out the blank, the blade got a bad bind,rocked the blank up and jammed the blade to a stop. I powered down quickly, unplugged, easily unwedged the blank and inspected the blade and wheels/tires, table, etc. The "only" problem I could find was a bent 5/8 Timberwolf blade...so much so that it rubbed the saw housing, and table with each revolution and was way out of alignment with the guides. Took off the blade and laid it on the flat floor and noted the "warped" configuration with a 2 foot section up off the floor about an inch an a half...Tried the straighten out some obvious bends with gentle counter bending....Put the blade back on the saw and couldn't get it to track on the wheels. I centered the blade on both upper and lower tires and rotated the upper wheel by hand while adjusting the tracking knob...no improvement.:BangHead:
Then replaced the 5/8 with an old 3/8 blade...reset the tension and guides and made cuts without problems.
Question...is the 5/8 blade toast? It is fairly new and not cheap, can it be repaired? Or have I missed something which will make me shorten my sentence in safety jail?:saw:

nelsone

New User
Ed
Don't have much to say on the blade. I would think it is likely toast. Iguess you could try straightening it with a hammer, but I'm not sure if they are hardened to the point it would make it a safety concern. I'm glad it didn't reach out and bite you.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Did the same thing with a 3/8" blade the first time after installing a riser block on my Rockwell. It bowed the blade front to back as well as sideways. I was able to get the lateral buckle out with a pair of eyeglass arm benders I found but I could never get the front to back to an acceptable straightness. IMO, it's not worth the risk either.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
IMHO the blade is toast for bandsaw use. If you think you will be making your own bow saw, etc in the future, don't toss it, as you can make some blades out of the straight sections.

Go

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS