Band Aids

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
If you're like me, you manage to cut yourself a lot in the shop. The older I get, the more often these little cuts and scrapes seem to happen. As a result, I use a lot of band aids - not because I need them, but to keep blood off of the wood I'm working on. I've tried many brands of band aids and they all seem to have one thing in common - they don't stay on! Last week I tried a new-to-me strip and was surprised to find out how well it sticks, especially to itself. It's the Band Aid Tru-Stay strips, and, so far, they've been great. Water doesn't effect the adhesive much at all. I recommend them to all my fellow bleeders here at NCWW.

Ernie

Tom from Clayton

tom
Corporate Member
Can't use band aids on my arms. Don't know how or when it happened but now my skin peels off when I take the band ad off. The resulting wound is worse than the original owie. I use a blood clotting powder I happened to pick up a few years ago.

Chris C

Chris
Senior User
I use vet wrap. If the cut is bad I use a piece of 4x4 underneath but usually just use the wrap solo.

I get mine from the dollar store.

Charles Lent

Charley
Corporate Member
The Band-Aid Flex Strip are made from fabric and work well for me. I leave my DNA in the form of blood stains on just about everything that I build. As a result, it have tried many kinds of bandaging materials and most don't stay on or my old skin has problems with them. For me, it's only these Flex Strips.

Charley

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
If you're like me, you manage to cut yourself a lot in the shop. The older I get, the more often these little cuts and scrapes seem to happen. As a result, I use a lot of band aids - not because I need them, but to keep blood off of the wood I'm working on. I've tried many brands of band aids and they all seem to have one thing in common - they don't stay on! Last week I tried a new-to-me strip and was surprised to find out how well it sticks, especially to itself. It's the Band Aid Tru-Stay strips, and, so far, they've been great. Water doesn't effect the adhesive much at all. I recommend them to all my fellow bleeders here at NCWW.

Ernie

I'm going to have to try those. Thanks for the heads up.

This brings to mind a related subject. I got dinged the other day and needed a band aid. Went to the cabinet, picked one out, put it on, and I'm back in business.
What I've been doing for many years now is taking various size band aids out of their wrapper and putting them in a container ready for use. In all cases where I've gotten a little bleeding hand cut I had only one hand to work with and I need the band aid quickly. Unwrapping the band aid takes time and often results in a mess. Having the band aids easily and quickly available has been a great convenience. Yes, I have to go through them from time to time and toss the older ones, but band aids are cheap enough.

Below: my custom made band aid cup.
1     band aids - 1.jpg

RickR

Rick
Senior User
These are a store brand at Walmart. They stick well and have adhesive on all sides of the gauze pad. Down side is that the pad area is smaller.

Attachments

• D197A0A9-912D-42EA-A58E-A757481D2DD8.jpeg
    D197A0A9-912D-42EA-A58E-A757481D2DD8.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 63

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Band aids have this one type of bandage that the plastic feels like skin and stays on, I just can't remember where I got them. Things are great as well.
Also, silver nitrate will stop bleeding. I have some for those real bleeders...... it stings to high heaven, but it is effective like these for example : Stypic silver nitrate

I use these where a bandaid will not stick -like a palm cut

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
For bleeding, try black pepper. No it doesn't sting or burn, but it will stop bleeding in it's tracks. A lifetime supply will cost you $1.25 at the Dollar Tree, or get it for a buck in Walmart where they have that bin of spices for a dollar

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
Bleeding a little is common for me anyway. Blood sweat and tears right.

Reactions: Oka

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I seldom cut myself but when I do it’s major. I keep a well stocked first aid kit on the wall next to the door. Which door? Both of them…

JimD

Jim
Senior User
I have a first aid kit in the shop next to the back door too. I like Bob's tip about unwrapping some band aids. I absolutely hate the way they are packaged. Total nonsense. Why can't they be in a roll or something? Dispense them like tape. Or maybe just unwrap them ahead of time.

Madmaxnkitty

New User
Rick
That's what makes the Stat-Strip great, the adhesive backer is linked to the wrapper, so one simply yanks at either end and the tape is exposed for application. It's pretty slick, but since it isn't a major brand, you can't find them on the shelves.

pop-pop

Man with many vises
Corporate Member
I have a first aid kit in the shop next to the back door too. I like Bob's tip about unwrapping some band aids. I absolutely hate the way they are packaged. Total nonsense. Why can't they be in a roll or something? Dispense them like tape. Or maybe just unwrap them ahead of time.
A few decades ago, the Band-Aid wrapper included a red tear string. That was the last time the wrapper was really easy open.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS