Baltic Birch in Charlotte... group buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deeptree

New User
William
So let me start by saying how sad it makes me to pick up the phone and call a store here in Charlotte, that rhymes with the planet that we inhabit, just because they are the only game in town for carrying high-quality sheet goods. I think that I know what it feels like to be a lady and take my car to the service department...a different salesperson...a different day...a drastically different price, but all of which are WAY too high, regardless of the quality of the material. I called last week for 2 sheets of 5x5 baltic birch and was given a price of $74 per sheet. Last year, I paid $47 for that same thing. With the cost of oil and energy going down, I have no idea how these prices are going up, and to those levels. Additionally, I asked about 4x8 sheets in Maple or Birch, and was given B grade prices of $93.

My first question, is does anyone know how to get around that "variable pricing" matrix that the magic man with the wand and the trident comes up with when I call them? I know that I could set up an account with them, but I don't do enough volume for that to make much difference.

My second question, is would anyone be interested in a group buy here in Charlotte where we might be able to get that price down to something reasonable that most of us could stomach?

Anyone have any thoughts/feelings/opinions, all are welcome.

red

Papa Red
Red
Senior User
Call Catawba Hardwoods in Hickory. They carry baltic birch. They are located right off of I40. Look them up.

Red

Grimmy2016

Scott
Earth rhymes with birth, berth,firth, fuerth, furth, gerth, girth, hirth, kerth, kurth, mirth, perth, werth, wirth, worth, wurth.

Hmmm Not coming to me, but what a fun game.

Hope you get the wood you need as a reasonable price!

Pop Golden

New User
Pop
​The thing that fries my shorts with these guys is the 18% mark-up for wood shrink. That on top of the super high price. Why is their humidity my problem? I have known woodworkers who buy from them and gripe about that 18% on and on. When I asked why they don't include that cost in their price I was told it would make their prices too high. :icon_scra

Pop

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Check out The Hardwood Store in Gibsonville. The prices listed below are their regular prices. They are even better when your NCWW discount is applied.

Attachments

• BB Plywood.JPG
    BB Plywood.JPG
    36.8 KB · Views: 331

srhardwoods

New User
Chris
I'm bidding on some items at auction and might be near Charolette sometime in April, if that works out I could do a run

JohnW

New User
John
I've purchased various species of ply at most of the better "known to this forum" businesses. The lowest quality and highest price were from the Wurth location in Charlotte. I don't go there anymore and would not be interested in a group buy based on their low quality and poor service. They were better years ago but I have had some not so nice experiences with them the past couple of years.

Try A&M Supply off of N Graham St. Steve Wall and The Hardwood Store are good if you don't mind the drive.

And Chris, if you have any success at the auction, I would definitely participate in a "wood run".

Steve_Honeycutt

Chat Administartor
Steve
While I cannot vouch for their plywood, I have done business with Scroungers. I also see that they have Russian Birch in 1/4" 4x4 sheets for $9.00, 1/4" 4x8 sheets for $17.00, and 1/2" 5x5 sheets for $35.

Steve

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
I am not familar with Russian Plywood, how does it stand up to traditional Baltic Birch in terms of number of plys per thichness, voids, etc.?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS