Backing making intarsia

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Yes I do make sawdust. This was started back in 2018 or 2019. Too long ago to remember. I am on a kick trying to complete some of the dozen or more projects that taking up space in my shop. I think this one project has 26 separate pieces. It is a small miracle that I found every piece I had cut originally. This is a Judy Gale Roberts design. The leaves and stem are poplar. The flower is yellow heart and maple. The hummingbird throat is flame box elder. The rest of him is made from western cedar, maple and walnut. The backer is maple plywood. Finish with Masters Gel Poly. The only paint/stain used is the little white dot on the eye. Thanks for looking.

JGR Hummingbird 2020.jpg

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Very nice! What are the different types of wood used?
The green leaves and stem are poplar. The flower is yellow heart and maple. The hummingbird throat is flame box elder. The rest of him is made from western cedar, maple and walnut. The backer is maple plywood.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
VERY nice Scott - where do you source the wood?
Especially flame boxelder or aspen as many of Judy's patterns suggest aspen...

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
The flame box elder came from Richard's Craft Wood that I got at last Klingspor Extravaganza. I did not buy it for that in mind but it worked. I really use what I tend to have available.

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
The flame box elder came from Richard's Craft Wood that I got at last Klingspor Extravaganza. I did not buy it for that in mind but it worked. I really use what I tend to have available.
I was thinking of trying to make one of Judy's snowmen, but I have no clue where to get aspen?! I guess I could use holly, but that seems wasteful)

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Pure white wood is hard to find. In my book it is not cheating to bleach wood or even use white stain to accomplish what you want.

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Pure white wood is hard to find. In my book it is not cheating to bleach wood or even use white stain to accomplish what you want.
Thanks Scott, what would you use for a "base" wood to bleach or "white stain"?

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
General Finish actually makes a white gel stain and a water based whitewash stain. Klingspor sells both. The gel stain is oil based and does not raise the grain like the water based. Another trick is pickeling using water based white paint or primer. That involves thinning white latex (paint or primer) with water then applying and then immediately wiping it off before it dries. As with white wash it does raise the grain.

White Gel Stain Pint | Klingspor's Woodworking Shop
Water Based Stain - Whitewash Pint | Klingspor's Woodworking Shop

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS