Auction Spoils.....gloat maybe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HardRock

New User
Gil
Went to a local auction last Saturday. Stood in the rain a lot, maybe it was worth it? Spent $208.00 total. Only had to haul items 4 miles to the house. Of course it's all 3 phase, I just love 3 phase equipment auctions.

5hp, side stroke sander

DCP00681.jpg

New and used belts that came with

DCP00686.jpg

details of end w/ interchangable "nose" profiles

DCP00687.jpg

bicycle sander

DCP00684.jpg

previous owner says the biicycle sander uses the same belts as the side stroke, he just cut them down to the correct width. I should have a belt supply for quite some time. The side stroke takes up to 12 - 14" wide belts. The "nose" and platten of it is wraped with a graphite paper that becomes very slick and the belt runs around it as well as it would a roller.
Not pictured, the deal also came with a Lyon brand steel shelf unit, 48" wide X 8'tall, two 4" wood screw clamps, two 6" kant twist clamps, and two 6" jorgeson cast iron "c" clamps.

Now to find some shop floor space.................

Oh, BTW, that's fat little me in the picture.

Steve D

Steve DeWeese
Everything looks to be in good shape, great score. What kind of shop did this come out of?

HardRock

New User
Gil
WW'g shop was in someone's back yard. The guy lived and worked in Statesville, started at the local furniture? factory when he was 16 sweeping floors. He's now 80, said he retired there as PM. Plant has been closed for quite some time now. Had an extensive shop set up, with mostly 3 phase equip. actually had 3 phase service there. His shop made plaque type wood products, such as you attach a clock movement or weather instruments too. Said most of it was for company type longevity awards and such. Evidently had quite a production going for many years. He had some really nice old equip that went way too cheap. I think there were less than 50 bidders signed up, mostly local types and neighbors after the yard sale type items, only about 4-6 bidders on the equipment. he had factory made and home made equipment.

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Great score on the sanders Gil.:icon_thum You can't beat the price or the short distance you had to haul them back to the house. How will you deal with the 3 phase issue? Install a converter?

D L

HardRock

New User
Gil
I built a convertor from a couple freebie motors I'd collected over the years.

Take a single phase motor, couple it to a 3 phase motor, feed in 240 on two hot legs, get three hot ones out.......viola! homegrown three phase power.

M

McRabbet

I recently went to an auction near Shelby -- some 25 yr old Craftsman stuff went for more than it cost new -- a 20" Crescent bandsaw went for $1,000 and a Grizzly 20" planer for $1,400 (5hp, older model). No bargains on any other stuff either.

Good haul -- it is hard to find small auctions like that and you scored really well. BTW - YOU SUCK!

Rob

HardRock

New User
Gil
You just never know about those auctions. At this same auction, there was outdoor furniture, used riding and push mowers and such. Old sorry looking POS push mowers were getting bid up at $60 - $65! Same mowers you can buy new for $99. I've also seen dial indicators, harbour freight and import ENCO's go for $35 - $50 when you can buy them new for $19.99. It's entertaining to say the least.

sapwood

New User
Roger
Gil, I don't know how large you are, but the sander has you by a mile :mrgreen:

Great get, YOU SUCK!

Sapwood

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS