Attention Scrollers, Turners, and Carvers Outreach Contest

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve_Honeycutt

Chat Administartor
Steve
It looks like Brent and Phil have been busy. A simple scroll saw pattern could be cut in the coasters and you could stack cut them to cut 2 or more at a time. Phil's bottle stopper is something that I would like to try. Keep them coming.

Steve H.

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
Here is another. I have made seemingly hundreds of these. They now take about 10 minutes -- For a beginner I would think less than one hour. I will have a few samples at our next session.

000_0010.jpg
000_0011.jpg
000_0014.jpg

I think the warriors might like this for their favorite nurse

cskipper

Cathy
Well, it might look like child's play compared to Phil's stopper but I did have some fun today making a few coaster sets. I did not do much finish work on them (just a rough sanding) but I think they could give the participants an idea of something they could easily make if the other options are too intimidating (I know I would have been a bit intimidated by some of the tools/projects when I was first starting out).

I made them with a bandsaw, drill press, and belt sander. I am no carver but I thought people could try to carve something in the coasters (sports team logo, simple design, etc.) or they could use the scroll saw to cut out a design.

Anyways, here are some pics . . . took about 30 minutes start to finish to get the blanks. I think it could be a great confidence booster for the participants who have never done any woodworking before.

View attachment 7210
Ignore the holes on the edges, for simplicity I used the same base for the circle and square options

View attachment 7211

Again, the point of this project is to introduce them to some tools while giving them something to take home and be proud of.

Great projects! How do you make the inset for the cork on the coasters?

batk30msu

New User
brent
Great projects! How do you make the inset for the cork on the coasters?

Cathy,

Since this is a quick project I was thinking about using the stick cork circles and boring a small hole with a forstner bit that matches the diameter but is shallower than the thickness of the cork, maybe one at each corner? or epoxying in some regular cork sheeting

The ones in the pic do not have a cork back yet . . . .

I see there biggest purpose as getting the Warriors comfortable with the tools.

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
Just a thought, but Weed Pots are quick and easy. Most are made from scrap and are well received by any one that I have given them to. This little project would be easy for the beginner or novice. Simply put, you turn a vase form and drill a hole in it to accept dried flowers, select the flowers and you are done. You can even reverse the process and select your dried flowers, select your blank, (scrap wood), drill a hole first and then turn it to your preferred shape. Ten minutes and you are done.

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
I have some made up now, But I would rather make up one special for the outreach program. I hope to get that done this coming weekend.

smallboat

smallboat
Corporate Member
The other day I went ahead and took a stab at building a tumble toy using only the tools available on the Outreach Trailer.
Pretty pleased with the first round and have a couple tweaks in mind if interest warrants.
There's an extensive step by step in my gallery.

Here are some highlights

Steve Martin

New User
Steve Martin
Steve, there are several items/projects that I would be willing to work up some instructions/video on (such as mushrooms, spoons, spurtles, round boxes, etc.) and send examples of, but they require green wood such as branches or saplings. As I am pretty far away from Fayetteville are you interested in me sending something that someone else would have to get the supplies for by going out in the woods or otherwise finding green wood supplies?

Steve_Honeycutt

Chat Administartor
Steve
Steve,

I don't see a problem with green wood projects. I'm sure we can get the supplies for this kind of project. Work them up and send them in. I can't wait to see them.

Steve H.

Steve_Honeycutt

Chat Administartor
Steve
Since the March Outreach event will be different with than the others, the decision has been made to extend the deadline to April 1. Everyone who is working on a project now has another month to complete them.

Steve H.

smallboat

smallboat
Corporate Member
Good news- that'll give me a chance to fine tune the Tumble Toy.
I've been updating the templates and need to verify them.
Should I send the templates along with the toy when I submit it?

You can build it without but it saves layout time.

Steve_Honeycutt

Chat Administartor
Steve
Steve,

Yes, please send the templates along with the toy.

This will also give you some time to develop other projects :gar-La;.

Thanks
Steve H.

smallboat

smallboat
Corporate Member
I've been fine tuning the "toggles"- that's what I'm calling the little pieces that tumble down the ladder.
I've had much greater success using a fence and stop on the drill press and using the band saw fence when cutting the slots.
This is much more consistent than my ability to cut and drill by eye using the template.

So my question is this- does that level of set up put this project beyond the reach of the program?
On the one hand its a good introduction to those techniques of wood working.
On the other its a little tedious until you get it right.

The success rate making toggles that work is MUCH higher than when I did them by eye.
For me that offsets the time spent on set up.
Not sure how a first timer would see it.

Just curious.
I've had fun working this out.
And a grandson who's pleased with his new toy.

Steve_Honeycutt

Chat Administartor
Steve
Steve,

It sounds like the participants will still walk away with a project that they can feel like they accomplished, which is the goal of the Outreach program. I assume that part of the instruction will include the stops and when to use the fence. I can't wait to see the finished project and the instructions.

Steve H.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Just one thing to mention. We don't have a fence for the drill press. It wouldn't be hard though to cobble something together with a straight piece of wood and some clamps. We do have plenty of clamps.

Maybe a template with the stops built into it to be clamped down, not sure the requirement, just thinking out loud.

- Ken.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS