Are you a relief carver?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Are you proficient at relief carving? If so, would you be willing to help out at a free workshop for beginning carvers?

I'm trying to organize a one day, free workshop for anyone who wants to learn relief carving. This is along the same line as the one day, free sharpening workshops Mike Davis conducted earlier this year. PeteM and I discussed this at the picnic Saturday and he has agreed to be a participant. But we also agreed it would be better if there were two experienced carvers to demonstrate their techniques. So we're looking for one more.

The venue for this would be my shop, which is located just south of Greensboro and Burlington, almost in the center of NC. The format would be for the experienced carvers to demonstrate their technique on a simple, beginner level pattern, then let the participants practice on their own. The experienced carvers would then observe each "student" and offer their advice or guidance. Think of this as a demonstration / workshop rather than a formal teaching exercise. Your reward for doing this will be two fold: first, the satisfaction of passing on your skill to others, and second, I'll buy your lunch (pizza). :gar-La;

If you think you would be interested and willing to help with this effort, please respond either here or send me a PM. If we can work out all the details and logistics, I'll post a later thread for those who want to learn.

Thank You....................................Bill

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Depending on the date I would like to attend so I can learn to use the tools I have.

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
Bill,

Due to a mix up in renewing a subscription, I ended up with 2 copies of this issue of WCI. It contains the article:
Carving in Low Relief
By Chris Pye
Learn to create the illusion of a 3-D carving in thin wood

Which is a fairly simple project, a koi in a pond, specifically designed to teach concepts of relief carving. Not just how to do the layout and grounding, but how to play with shadows and light to get the best effect. I think I have a companion article in the next issue also, where he does it again in deeper relief. I actually found shallow one more interesting as it is more of an illusion.

Anyway, I would be happy to send you the extra copy or I could send it to Pete (if he doesn't already have it) to look at and see if he thinks it would be a good choice. I will keep my eye on the thread and might be able to come out depending on when and what else is going on.

Relief is a broad topic. I just started on a mini totem last night that the author calls a relief (Tangerman - Complete guide to woodcarving pg 247; the little one with the shaman, frog and beaver for other woodcarvers that are curious) but I assume you mean shallow relief.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS