Anyone used a pantograph style carving duplicator?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
No new photos yet, but it's not all bad news. I need to get a lttile less deflection in my stylus shaft, but I was able to deal with it. I really need better bits for this. I have some hogging bits and detail burrs and very little in between. But I used one of my detail bits and traced a scroll sawn ornament as shallow recess into a piece of poplar that did reasonably well. I just did a few odd parts of it to see that I could trace along both sides of a thin piece and trace around a few thigs and get the shape transferred pretty well. It did OK; not great, but OK. Getting less deflection will get me where I want to me. I want to rough out shallow relief and finish by hand.

EDIT - a little more; I was rushed by kids going to bed on the inital entry. I found that doing "guided carving" was the most effective way to use this set up. In other words, I held and used the hand piece to carve and looked at the stylus and pattern to give me direction. Keeping tight against the pattern was difficult. It was much easier to try to stay close to it, but not constantly dead on it, and then come back and clean up. When I get less deflection in the stylus, staying dead on will be easier. You can set the depths defferent and follow lines on a drawing and etch them into place, but you have to be creaful as nothing keeps you on the line and there is no eraser. :)

CarvedTones

Andy
More running monologue...

Still no additional pictures; my test pieces would look bad and/or confusing unless you were looking over my shoulder. I keep reusing the same pieces tracing small parts of different things with different bits.

I got a coarse Foredom Typhoon bit at Kligspor's. With my NCWW discount, it was cheaper that nywhere I saw on the net even including tax and not including shipping on the others. Save money and have it right away? OK, I can do that. :) Anyway, those bits are incredible. Walnut is like wet cardboard. Very grabby, though. I found high speed and a light touch helps a lot.

I am back and forth about what to do about the little bit of deflection I can get. I can make a brace between the stylus and handpiece and pretty much eliminate it, but I would give up some depth (working in the bottom of a bowl) and there is an oddly appealing aspect of having to develop touch and technique. It's more like guided carving than just operating a factory machine, if you know what I mean. I may make a brace that I can easily remove for deeper stuff.

Rocker

New User
John
Andy,
I have a duplicating carver in my shop that I don't use. You are welcome to take it home and try it. If you like it, pay me what you think its worth.
Regards,
John (Rocker)

CarvedTones

Andy
Andy,
I have a duplicating carver in my shop that I don't use. You are welcome to take it home and try it. If you like it, pay me what you think its worth.
Regards,
John (Rocker)

John,

That is a generous offer, but the driving forces behind making this one are too little space and a too small hobby fund. I would love to check it out sometime, but I wouldn't want to under the pretense of possibly buying it anytime soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS