Anyone have their table saw arbor pulley balanced?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kooshball

David
Corporate Member
So here are the results....

The new pulley had a nice snug fit, nothing to require a pres but a few taps with a dead blow mallet was the ticket. This improved the vibration signifinatly and made the saw useable but did not solve it, however...

I made a tilted 45deg cut and noticed much less vibration leading me to believe that I may also have bad bearings in the motor as well. I figure that since the force vector from gravity changed when the motor was tilted that it took some load off the bearings and they went silent / smooth. This is the same motor on my bandsaw and suddenly at thi point the saws felt the same in terms off vibration... What do you think of this theory...

ehpoole

Ethan
Try this experiment first...

If I recall correctly from the photo I saw, this is a 3-belt pulley system. Remove all but the middle (center) belt and try your experiments again and let us know what the results were.

Then remove all belts and try your saw at a couple different angles between 90deg and 45deg and report your results.

I'm still concerned by how loose your bearings are (from your description), but this helps to eliminate some other variables.

Mad Scientist

New User
MS
Just asking.....

Have you replaced the belts? If there is more than one belt, did you get a "matched" set?

I have seen belts create vibration problems because they do not let the motor or arbor rotate or turn a consistent speed.

kooshball

David
Corporate Member
I have not had a chance to remove the belts but I did make a few brief cuts this weekend and swear that the issue is interment...if that helps to add usefully clues to this mystery.

I turned on and off the saw four times yesterday, and one of those times (no. 3) had more vibration than the others. I wonder if this points to the motor bearings as well since maybe it "depends" how it starts as to how it rotates in a bad set of bearings?

I should have more time for a full diagnosis over the next few weeks when I will remove the belts as recommended, but in the meantime does this new report mean anything significant?

Thanks,

If I recall correctly from the photo I saw, this is a 3-belt pulley system. Remove all but the middle (center) belt and try your experiments again and let us know what the results were.

Then remove all belts and try your saw at a couple different angles between 90deg and 45deg and report your results.

I'm still concerned by how loose your bearings are (from your description), but this helps to eliminate some other variables.

kooshball

David
Corporate Member

I did this and can say that the vibration is definitely coming from the arbor area and not the motor.

Strange since this is also the 2nd arbor ( what are the chances of two arbors being under sized) perhaps it is just an out of balance cast pulley?

kooshball

David
Corporate Member

Ethan, thank you for all the help! Looks like you were right, perhaps even more than you thought.

I talked to grizzly and they were concerned that the whole arbor was wrong and sent me a new one, this fixed the issue and now the only vibration is from the belts since I can see that the frequency is the same. Looks like the arbor was oversized, on top of the shaft perhaps being undersized...receipe for vibration!

Thanks again for all the time you spent on this.

ehpoole

Ethan
I'm happy to hear that they have you up and running as everything should be now.

I apologize for missing your previous post (I didn't mean to ignore you -- it's Ok to PM me when I fail to respond :)). I really appreciate your follow up post to let us know that everything is now resolved.

Hopefully someone else with the same or similar problem will stumble across this thread down the road and they'll have a complete case history from symptom, to speculation, to resolution to help them resolve their issue as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS