Any Tips on Buying Used Makita Planer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
I am going to look at one Tuesday evening. A guy I work with has one for sale by his BIL. He says it is 2 -3 yrs old Makita 12" planer (with set of new spare knives), model 2012. The 2012 has a fixed cutter head, with tables and bed that adjust up.

He priced it at $225, which seems like a good deal.

Aside from looking for rust, missing hardware, and running some test pieces through, any tips on sizing up the tool?

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Just my .02 worth.

Check the rollers, height adjustment, cutter head for slop/play.
Take a good straight edge and make sure the table/bed is flat and not warped.
Take a board and plane it. See how much snipe you get if any.

M

McRabbet

Just my .02 worth.

Check the rollers, height adjustment, cutter head for slop/play.
Take a good straight edge and make sure the table/bed is flat and not warped.
Take a board and plane it. See how much snipe you get if any.
And I'll add -- use a 10" wide board if you can and then measure the board thickness at the right and left side edges after a fine cut (~1/64" cut) pass and compare the reading with a good set of calipers. Should be the same. And look for a nicked blade or torn grain (be sure your test passes are with grain rising toward the outfeed side).

dancam

Dan
Corporate Member
I had the same planer and sold it and repalced w/the DeWalt 735.

The pblm I had w/the Mikita was the moving shelf. Setting up aux outfeed tables was a PITA. Most of the planers have stationary beds/tables and the cutters move.

Also the $225 price seems a little high.

Just my .02

Dan C.

newtonc

New User
jak
I don't have experience with this model,but I have a lot of used tool buying experience.It doesn't look to be that much better/worse than the others in it's class.But I agree with the price.Maybe $75 less would be my max on this level planer.
But that's my opinion.

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
Tom I have the Makita 2012 NB and love it. It has served me like a champ. Blade changes are idiot proof (I'm evidence of that.) The infeed and outfeed tables can be finicky. If they are not adjusted just right you will get snipe. The 2012 model is $450 and up! I don't know if this is different from a 2012 model.

Good luck,

Doug

P.S. Does it have a dust shroud?

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
Thanks for the tips, guys. Dan, I agree those table adjustments are not a design highlight. The guy is bringing my the instruction manual Tuesday morning, so I hold out hope it is the 2012NB. I've got pieces of 2"x6" and 2" x10" handy for test cuts, if we get that far.

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
Turns out it is the 2012 planer (man, I had hoped it was the 2012NB). I took a pass on the purchase. On the bright side, LOML may get me a planer for our 15th anniversary (April 24). If I do find a deal on a planer, I told her she can always get me a 14" bandsaw. :wink_smil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS