Any one here do insulation work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamie

jamie
Senior User
I posted this thread:
http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/f81/insulation-question-23930/

and I would like to find someone to give me a quote on getting the ceiling insulated in my garage. I figured that I would see if anyone here does this kind of stuff in the matthews area, before I start calling around.

It is a three car garage. It has a drywall ceiling, engineered trusses, and a 'subfloor' above it (not really a subfloor, since there isn't a floor-- but there is a layer of something up there).

I am expecting that it will need to be blown in.

Please PM if you do this kind of work.

Thanks!

-jamie

Mark Stewart

New User
Mark
Jamie,
If you are interested lowes will loan you the machine if you buy so much insulation save me a chunck o change when we did ours here.

Mark

gator

George
Corporate Member
As far as I know, both BORGS (orange and blue) will rent (and maybe even loan) the machine to blow insulation in if you buy the insulation from them. It is not a major job. You fill the hopper from bags of insulation and plug the machine in and pull the trigger at the end of the hose and point. Lots less $$$$ doing it yourself.

George

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
If you go the DIY route be sure to install some baffles in the end of the joist to protect your soffit vents.
My Dad always said "Some things are worth paying for." Installing attic insulation in the summer meets that criteria.

dave "dhi"

New User
Dave
i agree there tarhell, and may end up cheaper having it subed out,with the prices those box stores charge for installation. what it cost my installation comp. to insulate a attic renovation is about what id pay for the insulation alone, then u need to install it!:rotflm:

jamie

jamie
Senior User
I kind of figured that it might be cheaper to have it installed, that was why I was asking ;)

Since the top of the joists are covered, there should be no chance of blocking the soffit, but thanks for the heads-up...

Bigdog72

New User
Geoff
I kind of figured that it might be cheaper to have it installed, that was why I was asking ;)

Since the top of the joists are covered, there should be no chance of blocking the soffit, but thanks for the heads-up...

I think you might have that wrong, there, Jamie. If your house is of typical construction and the top of the bottom chord of your garage truss is decked then the air space runs out to the soffett and if you don't baffle you will fill the soffett cavity.

Matt Schnurbusch

New User
Matt
I did an estimate to insulate the crawl space of an 1100sf house about 2 years ago. Then I called an insulation company and they could do the whole job for less that I could get the materials for.

With any luck you can find someone here that runs such a company (or does side work)... If not, hire one.

+1 on baffles. No air flow = big problems!!!

jamie

jamie
Senior User
I think you might have that wrong, there, Jamie. If your house is of typical construction and the top of the bottom chord of your garage truss is decked then the air space runs out to the soffett and if you don't baffle you will fill the soffett cavity.

Hmmm, I will have to check that out then...

PChristy

New User
Phillip
Jamie +1 on the baffles and ++1 on hiring a company to do it - I was going to do my new addition on our house and they did it cheaper then I could do it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors