Any bamboo craftsmen around?

Status
Not open for further replies.

maewest

New User
maewest
Would like to talk to anyone who has built with bamboo. Have read about joining with mortar but don't know what kind of mortar to use. Thanks for any help.

RobS.

Robert Slone
Senior User
Roy Underhill did an episode of "Woodwright's Shop" in which he made a small table from bamboo. I'm following this post with interest as I've always planned on making something from bamboo. I have access to a small patch that's been around for at least 40 years. The owner pleaded with me to get it all but I've never cut any as I don't have plans drawn up for projects and right now I don't have space for it. But one of these days....

Mark Gottesman

New User
Mark
A book out there by Carol Stangler on building with bamboo. No mortar recipes. Amazon has her book.

As far as some sort of mortar mix. Maybe check and see what sort of mortar is used by the folks who do cordwood building. Or are you looking to use it as infill for a post and beam type building. I think they call it "wattle and daub".

Mortar has to be sticky and somewhat flexible to account for movement of bamboo.

Maybe if you could give us and idea of what you want to build and any other "Mortar" details you remember.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS