Status
Not open for further replies.

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
This is the big one!
Saturday, July 26
8am-3pm
Ed Hobbs' farm (and foot powered tool museum)
4417 Inwood Rd.
Raleigh
Over 275 people attended last year with ~30 vendors
Amazing deals on priceless heirlooms
Seminars
Auction
Pig pickin'
Celebrities

PM me or Ed (Hobbsed) if you want to attend and are not a member of the MWTCA or EAIA. There is a small fee for guests ($15) to attend and lunch (it's worth at least that much just to tour Ed's museum:icon_thum). After July 19 it's an extra $5.

Also...I need a few folks from the Charlotte area to share the ride with me. Plan to go up and back on the 26th. Please let me know if you want to carpool.

Mark

Last edited:
M

McRabbet

My registration went in the mail today and I know Ozzie-x (Randy Osborne) will be there, too! Looking forward to it!

Rob

hobbsed

New User
Ed
Mark,

Thanks for getting this out there for all to see. I have been very tied up with national M-WTCA business and the spring meeting which was held in Erie PA earlier in June. Also been trying to get a couple of foot powered machines restored and for sale.

Yes, everyone is invited that shares an interest in antique/traditional tools - there use, preservation, study, etc. Expect a big crowd this year as well.

We will have a program of interest, displays of tools, good food (old style pig picken with fried chicken and all the fixings), tool buying/trading/selling, an auction plus that fellowship with others that share our interests.

M-WTCA is a national antique/traditional tool collecting association with over 3500 members all over the US. We hold a number of local meetings with NC being well positioned with 4 per year - two in the Raleigh area, one in Charlotte and beginning this fall, one in Winston Salem. Visit our website at www.mwtca.org for more info or let me know.

This is a great opportunity for everyone to learn more about tools and their use, meet others that share our interest and buy tools at a very good price.

Thanks Ed

sapwood

New User
Roger
Got my invitation in the mail this week and I'm looking forward to another superlative event :icon_thum

Thanks,
Roger

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
Also...I need a few folks from the Charlotte area to share the ride with me. Plan to go up and back on the 26th. Please let me know if you want to carpool.

Let me see if that weekend is free. I know I've got some busy ones in July because I have 7 different family members coming from out of state to visit ... but maybe I'll get lucky and can go.

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Bumping this after having a few discussions yesterday during the crawl.

Why should I go to this?
This is 99% cordless woodworking (hand/arm/foot powered:gar-Bi) tools, bits, blades, etc w/heavy emphasis on handplanes, hand saws, chisels, rules, squares and spare parts. Occaisionally you will find wooden bench parts and pieces. Shoulda' snatched that 2 1/2" diameter maple knee vice screw last year for $50.

What do you do other than buy and sell old stuff and wait on lunch?

Tour Ed's amazing collection of treadle powered tools.
Attend the education program/demo. Last year we had the Master Woodworker from Old Salem do a presentation.
Make new friends. I met Roy Underhill and a neighbor from just around the corner last year.
Enjoy the beautiful location in the shade under the big oaks.
Get amazing deals at the auction.

Do I have to learn a special handshake to attend or join the MWTCA?
Nope. Don't have to join anything and guests even get a discount to attend their first meeting.

My wife/husband will leave me if I bring one more tool home!
Not if it looks like this:

Let me or Ed Hobbs know if you have questions.
Hope to see you there!

Pop

New User
Pop Ryan
Mark... I wish I was in better shape to be able to make the trip but ... not meant to be this year. Please someone take a b-u-n-c-h of pictures and post them here on the site for all to enjoy and drool over. Pop

Ozzie-x

New User
Randy
I will be there. Several of us MWTCA members plan ongoing down together on Friday, get there early afternoon. I probably won't set-up this year due to time constraints this week, but if anyone has anything in particular they are looking for, I'll try to accommodate you.

As Mark and several others have said, this is a wonderful meeting. This meeting is second only to the national meetings with the quantity and quality of old tools and number of people at the meeting. It's a fun day with everyone set-up outside under the nice big trees at Ed's farm. Tool collecting aside, any woodworker will enjoy the MWTCA meetings, especially this one, and there will be tools galore with lots of good user tools and great deals. I look forward to seeing some of you there.

Ozzie-x

New User
Randy
You wouldn't happen to have a Stanley 50 at a decent user price would you?

Well as it just so happens, I do have an extra #50, it's my previous user plane. (Last year I got a #50 "new in the box" with all the cutters, gadgets and paperwork, so I can use that one or a #45 or a #55.) The kicker is I'll have to check to see how many cutters are with the old one, I'm sure it's not a full set. The #50 cutters are unique, but 45 or 55 cutters can be shortened to work in the older #50's, although I don't advise butchering the other cutters (I think that's some kind of sin). The new #50's have the blade adjuster mechanism and require the slots on the back of the cutters that engage the adjuster. :icon_thum

nelsone

New User
Ed
I missed one last night on the bay. I had highest bit with 9 seconds left and someone beat me out. Full set of blades and manual!:eusa_doh:I've been wanting one for quite a while now! Let me know what you have, I may be interested!!!

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
2 empty seats going to Raleigh next Saturday. Any takers? Any NCWW express needs from/to Charlotte to/from Raleigh? Travelling Hwys 49 and 64.

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
If you're attending the meet please put NCWW on your nametag so others will know who we are. See everyone Saturday morning!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS