Another Newby

Status
Not open for further replies.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Hi Y'all. I ran across this site via a string posted on the Forestry Forum (another great site) about two slabs that were joined to make a table top, and it looked like a superb place to learn.

My wife and I have a small farm in New Hill (30 miles SW of Raleigh), and I spend a lot of time on a variety of farm and construction projects. I'm a retired professional, and my wife is a veterinarian that operates a non-profit mobile spay-neuter program. We have a lot of rescue critters on the farm.

I've done a variety of construction work over the years, but not much detail wood work since wood shop in grade school. In the coming months I plan on spending more time in the woodshop though.

Thanks to the tax codes, I have a pretty solid collection of entry-grade but heavy-duty equipment (mostly Grizzly) that I've bought for timber frame and general work about the farm. I also have a 10" Peterson WPF sawmill, and a Nyle dehumidification kiln that I built a few years back for drying lumber for farm projects.

I'm looking forward to learning from y'all, and contributing where I can.

Regards,

Scott Smith

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
:)WELCOME FROM ANOTHER NEWBIE!!!:-D
From the way things look around here, it seems to be an awesome group of people!

M

McRabbet

Welcome to the website, Scott. We think you'll find lots of good people and info on woodworking here -- I lived in Durham and used to drive through New Hill on my way to play golf in the Southern Pines area, coming down NC 751. Retired to the mountains in 2004 and have a great shop and lots of Grizzly tools, too. Share with us what you've got... Pics, too!

Rob

dozer

Mike
Welcome to the group Scott. I would really like to know a little more about you kiln if you trying to come up with some ideas for my own. You will really enjoy being a member here great people and great advice.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Welcome Scott, I am glad that you joined us. Thanks for the intro, and it's nice to meet you. Please do tell us more about your kiln, they have been a hot topic around here lately.
Dave:)

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
All - thanks for the warm welcome.

Rob - re the Grizzly stuff, I have a 20" Extreme Duty spiral cutterhead planer (7.5HP 3 phase), a 16" spiral cutterhead jointer (also 3 phase), 20" 3 phase bandsaw, 12" tablesaw, 3hp shaper, and a dust collection system. Also have the 15" open sided wide belt sander, an oscillating drum sander, 6" slow-speed belt/disc sander, and an edge sander. Additional goodies include a Makita miter saw, Dewalt sliding compound miter saw, Dewalt plunge router, and the usual assortment of nailguns, biscuit jointer, 3" belt sander, etc.

Re the kiln, my unit uses the Nyle / Woodmizer 200 series unit, which is good for about 4K bd feet of oak, or 2K bd feet of 4/4 pine. The amount of boards dried simultaneously depends upon species and thickness (max rate of drying). I built it into a 45' container with a tracked cart system. It does a good job, but is really only practical on larger loads (about 1K bd feet minimum). One challenge is that for the best quality you really don't want to mix different species and thicknesses, so drying a variety of different species/thicknesses can take some time since you have to do them separately. I've got about 12K invested in it, not counting my labor. If I were to recommend a kiln to a hobbiest, I would steer them towards the solar kiln designs such as are found on woodweb. They are very economical to operate and suitable for smaller loads, and do a great job.

Here are some pix of the woodshop and Kiln: Scott

Attachments

• woodshop side view2.jpg
    woodshop side view2.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 161
  • Woodshop front3.jpg
    Woodshop front3.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 157
  • Kiln_from_door2.jpg
    Kiln_from_door2.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 156
  • kiln_fans4.jpg
    kiln_fans4.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 152

DaveO

New User
DaveO
:eusa_droo :eusa_droo :eusa_droo :eusa_droo OK, I am very jealous now.
Great looking shop, you may give Woodguy a run for his money in the Mo' Power catagory :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Thanks Dave.

As far as "mo power", how does this look? It's not the best for finish work, but it sure does a great job of harvesting the raw material for the sawmill! (not to mention building horse pastures)...

Attachments

• Bill_d84.jpg
    Bill_d84.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 156
J

jeff...

Welcome Scott, gald you joined, alright another sawmill guy, and a swinger at that :rolf: Can I come watch that swinger in action sometime?

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
wow. In that first post you mentioned "entry grade" equipment. From the pics of your machinery, What on earth would you move up to? 8-O

b4man

New User
Barbara
Beware of new NCWW disease!

"SCS envy"

It appears this condition may cause serious mental and emotional consequences. From jaw drop to palpitations.

Only a " You Suck" can bring any relief.

Welcome Scott and please warn us before you post any more pix of your fantastic farm, shop and heavy equipment! :drunken_s

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Thanks guys. As I've told others, I'm the luckiest guy that I know.

Jeff - re the swingmill - sure. I'll probably do some milling sometime next month, and will let you know. What kind of sawmill do you have?

NCPete - for "moving up", I would consider the Felder equipment, older Powermatic, or any of the older American iron that was used in heavy cabinet making or a commercial environment to be a step up from the Grizzly. I looked at Woodguy's photo gallery last night, and he has some great, older iron. That's one great thing about being in NC - there are a lot of old furniture factories here and some great iron around - if you can find it. I do think that Grizzly is a great value for the $, and it's new equipment.

b4man - I'll try to be careful about the photo's!

Again - I envy y'all your hands-on experience. Having good equipment is one thing, but technique, ability and knowledge is more important.

McRabbit, when you traveled down 751, did you ever turn south on Old US1 and go through Bonsal? If so, you passed right by my farm.

Scott

MikeH

New User
Mike
:eusa_droo :eusa_droo :eusa_droo :eusa_droo OK, I am very jealous now.
Great looking shop, you may give Woodguy a run for his money in the Mo' Power catagory :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Welcome to NCWW Scott and I too am VERY jealous!!!

nelsone

New User
Ed
Wow!!! What a set up! Looks like you have most of what you need to build what ever you want! That's quite an aircract carrier you have in the shop. There are several sawyers here. Welcome to the site, I look forward to seeing what you do!

sapwood

New User
Roger
Another warm welcome Scott!

Nice [strike]shop[/strike] factory 8-O

NCWWer is a great resource filled with a diversity of members, skills, and interests. We look forward to your questions and input :)

Roger

chris99z71

New User
Chris
Welcome Scott! This is without a doubt one of the friendliest places on the net!
I'm your way from time to time to go to the Wake Co fire training center right next to the Harris plant.
You sure have some nice stuff! I'm surprised that nobody asked yet about renting time in your kiln... :eusa_thin :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS