Another newbie question

Status
Not open for further replies.

gene041365

New User
Gene
Guys & Gals,

Does Home Depot,Lowes offer any kind of woodworking courses? Or does anyone have a better idea?
Thanks!!!!!
Gene

DaveO

New User
DaveO
They might, but I don't think that they would be very helpful. Their classes seem like big advertisements for what you can make with what they sell. You might try the local Woodcraft, Klingspors Woodworking Shop, or even some of Woodguy's classes. You will get good education from skilled woodworkers with any of those choices.
Dave:)

sapwood

New User
Roger
Gene,
Don't know about Lowes', etc. But there are a number of avenues available for woodworking courses.

Both Woodcraft and Klingspor offer a variety of courses. And I think Rockler in G'boro also offers courses. Of course our own Woodguy1975 holds highly acclaimed courses in his shop at JSR Woodworking in Hickory. Also click on the Calendar in the top menu bar and check out Oct 27-28 for the Klingspor Woodworking Xtravaganza. A number of NCWWers will be attending and demo classes will be going on non-stop!

HTH,
Roger

gene041365

New User
Gene
You mean we have a celebrity amongst us? How cool is that? I will definitly be checking that out. Along with Klingspor. Thanks a bunch!!!
Gene

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Gene, just be sure not to confuse published or celebrity with Post Counts :lol:

DaveO's 6000+ posts would make him our most "published" member :mrgreen:

Roger

Hey don't age me beyond my years. It's only 5000+ posts, 6000 won't come for a few more months :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Dave:)

gene041365

New User
Gene
Dave,
Where is the forum for the suppliers that I am suppose to be working on located at? I can't find it! LOL must be the brain injury thing!
Gene

dtomasch

New User
David
Gene...
I HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend woodguy's class. I took one this summer on building a maloof occasional chair (STILL not finished) and it opened up a world of possibilities. I have been trying to take another class, but life keeps getting in the way of woodworking:crybaby2: . You will not be disappointed in any of his classes, I'm sure. I bet the fundamentals class would be great for you. Just my humble opinion.
-dtomasch

gene041365

New User
Gene
Thanks!! :-D Woodguy's classes. hmmmmm this has real possibilities. Sounds like alot of fun & educational as well! Where do I sign up??
Gene

clowman

Clay Lowman
I believe that Woodguy has just announced a finishing class. To sign up, just send him a PM, and he will book you. I think he will also have a list of classes at the show this weekend in Hickory. Check his website for schedules, and also, his posts here. Here are some recent posts for classes (dovetails already taken place):

Handcut dovetails
Finishing Class

I've taken a couple of his classes, not been disappointed yet.

woodguy1975

New User
John
Hey Gene. My schedule is posted up on Klingspor's website right now. I've scheduled out the next few months. It cuts off in Febuary because I have to go to China for a month. I'll go ahead and post the class schedule for ya. My website is in need of updating, but I have shoptime or web admin time. :) I'd love to have your over for a class. I try to cram as much info in the class period as possible. Most folks leave overly saturated with information. The fundamentals is a really good class to get started with. It is the sole purpose of the class. Of course no experience is required to learn to build a rocker either. There are probably 10 or more Maloofing around members on the board now as well. :) All I do is teach and make maloof rockers. The prices below are normal pricing. NCWWers do get a discount. For example the finishing class is $80 for NCwwer members.
Table11.jpg

Finishing ($100) – November 4th (NCwwer $80)

Cabinetmaking ($200)– November 11th-12th (NCwwer $180)

Maloof Rocker ($500)– Nov 18th, 19th, December 2nd-3rd, December 16th-17th (NCwwer $450)

Woodworking Fundamentals ($200) - December 9th – 10th (NCwwer $180)

Maloof Occasional Chair ($250) – January 6th-7th and January 20th (NCwwer $220)

Bent Wood Basics ($120) – January 13th (NCwwer $100)
Class Size – 6
Materials Required – Provided
Tools Required – None

Vacuum Veneering ($100) – January 27th (NCwwer $80)
Class Size – 6
Materials Required – Provided
Tools Required – None

Krenov Plane Making ($100) – Feb 3rd (NCwwer $80)

By the way, here is my demo schedule for the Klingpor's Extravaganza. I hope to see you at the show and the get together on Saturday for some good conversation and BBQ.

Friday

9-10 Learning the handtools of woodworking
10-11 Learning the handtools of woodworking II
11-12 Freehand Router Inlay
12-1 Lunch
1-2 Lunch
2-3 The difference between ordinary and extraordinary
3-4 Handcut Thru Dovetails
4-5 Handcut Half Blind Dovetails
5-6 Working with Wood Movement
Saturday

9-10 Maloof Rocker/Chair Design - Measurements
10-11 Maloof Rocker/Chair Design - Templates
11-12 Maloof Rocker/Chair Jointery
12-1 Lunch
1-2 Lunch
2-3 Maloof Rocker/Chair Shaping
3-4 Bending Wood - A Non-Square World

See ya,

John
JSR School of Woodworking

Last edited:

NZAPP1

New User
Nick
John
Thanks for posting your upcoming scheduled classes I will keep this handy for when I am able to stand for long periods of time. I have been wonting to take some of your classes for some time now.:icon_thum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS