Another Durham Newbee

Status
Not open for further replies.

The WaMoo

New User
Steve
Hi Folks,
After a bit of prodding from John Reeves I decided to register with WWNC. I started doing woodworking seriously in 1991 when I quit playing golf. That is just enough time to buy a full shop of tools and then realize that the economy models are not quite up to the minimum standards for long term, serious work. The replacement process is now complete.

I am an engineer for GE with only a matter of months until retirement. I really enjoy doing case work and have a keen appreciation for a balance between machine tool work and doing things by hand. Skills were honed through several trips to the Center for Furniture Craftsmanship in Maine. There, I learned to really appreciate Shaker furniture (from Chris Becksvoort) and Peter Korn drilled me in hand cut dovetails (I sold my Leigh jig). My best pieces thus far include a reproduction of a Shaker blanket chest (no sand paper touched the wood), two walnut beds (four poster and sleigh) and a high chair with an intarsia back. Currently working on another sleigh bed for my bedroom.

I look forward to a great deal of help from you guys. The material I have read makes me very excited to have WWNC members as a new resource. I also understand that sharing goes both ways and I really like to help other serious woodworkers (and those who think they might want to get serious.)

sapwood

New User
Roger
Thanks for joining us Steve!
Two new Durham members in a week :eusa_danc
:eusa_thin Could be time for another lunch/wood chat.

Enjoy,
Roger

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Hi Steve

Welcome to the NCWW pile-o-sawdust. It's always good to have another woodworker join us. Can you tell us more about your shop? Any photos of your projects? Sounds as if you've built some nice stuff. Sleigh bed sounds like it would have some challenges in it. We love our photos here... and get ideas and inspiration from one anothers' pics. You can set up a photo gallery for your stuff here if you want.

Again, welcome.

Ray

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
Welcome Steve:

Would love to see some pics of your sleigh beds. I bet a number of us would like to hear your hand cut dovetail technique.

Doug

The WaMoo

New User
Steve
Thanks for the replies and welcomes. Most of my projects have been built as gifts to close relatives and friends. The two beds were wedding gifts to a niece and nephew. I didn't make pictures at the time but it is probablyworthwhile to get photos for my own archieves (as well as for sharing.) Since the pieces now reside in Raleigh and Greenville, it should be easy to get photos in the near future.

My shop is horribly cramped. A divorce after 40 years lost me a home with a large shop in the mountains (Valle Crucis) and my new house in Durham only has a single car garage. With great effort I have squeezed in a nice work bench. Other floor mounted tools include a 14" bandsaw, a belt/disk sander, DJ20 jointer, 16" planer, drill press, cabinet saw with Biesmeyer fence and outfeed table, router table with Inca fence, vacuum, and scroll saw. Miter saw, mortiser, oscillating drum sander, and grinders are stashed under tables. My Conover lathe was given to a friend with agreemnent that I could come over and use it whenever I wish. Enerything else is on wall racks, wall cabinets or in two closets filled with shelves and peg board.

Pictures will come later.

ebarr

New User
Wayne
Steve,

Welcome aboard.

I agree with Roger We are getting quite the group in Durham, We may have to have a round of shop visits.

John Reeves

John Reeves
Corporate Member
Steve,

Glad you finally made the jump. It must have been the thread "YOU KNOW YOU ARE A WOODWORKER WHEN".

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Hi Steve. Welcome to the site. Glad you joined us. I look forward to seeing pictures of all your works especially the intarsia work. I work in RTP so yell if you need a hand.

RandyJ

Randy
Corporate Member
Welcome Steve! Nice folks here, always willing to help. Don't hesitate to jump in....

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Welcome Steve, I am glad that you could join us. I look forward to your input in the forums and learning from your experience.
Dave:)

Steve W

New User
Steve
Welcome! It's good to have another Steve on here.

And +1 to the Shop Visit idea! I need ideas on optimizing my 10 x 20 space, that's for sure!

Vanilla Gorilla

New User
Marco Principio
Glad to have another Durham WW'er on the site. I really need to start meeting some of you fellas one of these days. Roger, the lunch thing sounds like a really good idea

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors