Another chess table updated

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
you may be correct. I don't know the process. the gold is real gold leaf so I presume not fired after paint.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I hate to say it - but your table is prettier than the chess pieces! JMHO

cyclopentadiene

Update your profile with your name
User
Have you checked prices on Custommade.com for similar type tables. I typically try to stay within 90% of their cost and adjust based on lumber used. This assumes their cost to advertise and pay the site is 10%. Pieces in Galleries are often inflated much more as the gallery can often take 50%.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
Have you checked prices on Custommade.com for similar type tables. I typically try to stay within 90% of their cost and adjust based on lumber used. This assumes their cost to advertise and pay the site is 10%. Pieces in Galleries are often inflated much more as the gallery can often take 50%.
i have not but i will in the future. thanks for the site info.
got a link?

cyclopentadiene

Update your profile with your name
User
This site seems to be where up and coming woodworkers post their work. I have seen several of the Fine WW back cover artisans selling their work here. The site also serves as a great place for inspiration.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
I've thought about "trying" to build a solid wood chess board more than once. But I always got hung up on how to deal with wood movement. Can you share the secret of dealing with wood movement in a piece like this, please.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
I've thought about "trying" to build a solid wood chess board more than once. But I always got hung up on how to deal with wood movement. Can you share the secret of dealing with wood movement in a piece like this, please.
I could tell you but then I'd hafta kill ya. :p
Simple. All the grain should be same direction as much as possible. Also make the board thin and glue it to a substrate such as plywood or MDF ( yuck) .the squares are only about 1/8th inch thick when done. Drum sander is your friend.
Come on over one weekend and we'll make one.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I could tell you but then I'd hafta kill ya. :p
Simple. All the grain should be same direction as much as possible. Also make the board thin and glue it to a substrate such as plywood or MDF ( yuck) .the squares are only about 1/8th inch thick when done. Drum sander is your friend.
Come on over one weekend and we'll make one.
Fred, That might be a good workshop when this virus thing is gone - "semi-thick veneering" as it could apply to a backgammon playing field or any other for that matter!
I watched a Rob Cosman video where he uses a substrate (he does use MDF) for his box lids - very informative, but obviously a "known" trick of the trade for experts like you. #IjustwanttobelikeFRED

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
Fred, That might be a good workshop when this virus thing is gone - "semi-thick veneering" as it could apply to a backgammon playing field or any other for that matter!
I watched a Rob Cosman video where he uses a substrate (he does use MDF) for his box lids - very informative, but obviously a "known" trick of the trade for experts like you. #IjustwanttobelikeFRED
Hank, I hate to tell you but, it ain't easy being fred.;)

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS