Status
Not open for further replies.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
And we are making progress again.

then there is the 10' x 45' bonus room upstairs... No idea yet what I am going to do with that, perhaps a cabinet showroom, perhaps a one bedroom apartment, perhaps just storage. Any ideas?

I know I would furnish it with certain "dog house" amenities as I tend to spend a lot of my time in mine! ha ha

(the build looks GREAT and is moving along again - I am REALLY happy for you!

Jeff

New User
Jeff
How will you get upstairs? Lumber storage in my garage attic is a PITA everytime I want to go bring some lumber downstairs. Those steps and toting things up and down can become problematic as you age and that's no bonus!

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
How will you get upstairs? Lumber storage in my garage attic is a PITA everytime I want to go bring some lumber downstairs. Those steps and toting things up and down can become problematic as you age and that's no bonus!

Great idea, but the room is 10' above grade. How do I get the lumber in there?

JimD

Jim
Senior User
pull down stairs are not easy to navigate if you have things in your hands - but a lot better than nothing or crawling through a hole in the ceiling. With a space that size, I would want a regular staircase. Too much area to give up to very limited use. A spray booth would be nice at one end (so you can ventilate it). Lumber storage and/or hand tool work are other ideas.

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
pull down stairs are not easy to navigate if you have things in your hands - but a lot better than nothing or crawling through a hole in the ceiling. With a space that size, I would want a regular staircase. Too much area to give up to very limited use. A spray booth would be nice at one end (so you can ventilate it). Lumber storage and/or hand tool work are other ideas.

My plan is to just do an attic entrance right now with the sub-contractors. Later I will build an outside staircase, probably in steel, with a glass entry door and windows in the one end. Even with a nice staircase though, getting 10' pieces of lumber up there will be very difficult. I plan to finish the room and condition it, but have no idea yet what it will be used for.

Bear Republic

Steve
Corporate Member
There are all sorts of lifts and winches, A simple trap door, "lumber bucket" and let a motor do the heavy lifting. Easy peasy, just need to decide on what's the largest and heaviest to size the hole and lift motor.

JimD

Jim
Senior User
The lift could also be outside but that might take a little re-framing. I like the idea of a spray booth + maybe office/hand tool (i.e. no dust) area. If you do that, you could even use a spiral staircase.

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
And so the wait begins again for the building inspector to inspect insulation, before we can go to next step being dry-wall.

attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_1814.JPG
    IMG_1814.JPG
    128.4 KB · Views: 228
  • IMG_1816.JPG
    IMG_1816.JPG
    93.9 KB · Views: 214

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
Walls R19, ceiling R38.

Probably an over-kill, as the shop won't be used 8 hours every day, but that is what we did. I also have Techshield raidiant barrier sheathing on the roof.

Last edited:

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
And so the wait begins again for the building inspector to inspect insulation, before we can go to next step being dry-wall.

Why drywall rather than wooden panels? (cost, I am guessing?)

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Willem, for insulation I highly recommend a hybrid spray foam installation (1” of closed cell with a 3-1/2” fiberglass batt inside it) in those 2x6 walls. Phenomenal performance and you’ll get the money back over time with power savings.

Would also strongly recommend that you use HAAS insulated doors for your roll up doors. They work great for conditioned spaces, and since they don’t advertise as much as some of their competitors you get more for your money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors