An Inexpensive Light Tent

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken Massingale

New User
Ken
First, I'm no expert with photography or image processing, there are several members more qualified than me.
I'll show what I have come up with after looking on the web at other folks solutions for taking pictures of projects, especially smaller ones.

You'll need 8 of these 1/2" PVC elbows with an extra leg. (I don't know what the heck the right name is):
corner.JPG

To attach the fabric get a short section of 3/4" PVC and on the bandsaw slice it lengthways just past the middle. Then cross cut it into pieces about 1 1/2" long. These pieces will clamp around the fabric covered 1/2" PVC frame:

clip.JPG

Go to Walmart and get 3 yards or so of shiny white fabric, it's about $1.50 a yard.
Cut some pieces of 1/2" PVC for the frame, size to your needs. You'll end up with this:

lighttent.JPG

You can barely see on the top I put a tee on each side of the top with a 6" piece of PVC and another tee on that to make a roost for clamp on shop lights.
Don't glue any fittings. When you're finished taking pics take the tent apart and stash it in a trash bag till needed again.

I've found that some items photograph better with a simple $4.50 backdrop from Hobby Lobby:

backdrop.JPG

I hope this will help someone avoid the frustration I have had with getting half way decent pics to post.

After I get the pics taken I use Gimp (free) to make the background white and adjust the photo. I only use 2 of the many options in Gimp, other than resize.

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Sweet! Thanks for the tip, a lot of us (ok, me) struggle to take awful pics. This might help me move up to not terrible pics.

For those who might not know, Gimp (GNU Image Manipulation Program) is a Free Software tool that does much of what you'd use Photo Shop for. It runs on all the major operating systems (Linux, Mac, and Windows).

You can get more info here.
http://www.gimp.org/

Jim

thrytis

New User
Eric
I thought you were recommending a good backpacking tent! This is very useful too, just for a different purpose. :)

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS