An Alternative when the Stanley Planes are Overpriced!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve W

New User
Steve
I can't believe my good fortune!

I'd been looking 'round for a decent Stanley #65 Low-angle Block Plane and had almost given up on finding one for a decent price. Then along came one on eBay: "Craftsman low-angle block plane, same as Stanley No. 65."

Yep-- in the 30s (and probably 40s and who knows, 50s) Craftsman was selling re-badged Stanley tools! I estimate my example as c. 1935 - 40 based on the style of the Craftsman logo. It is 100% identical to the knuckle-jointed Stanley No. 65 except that it has a Craftsman number (escapes me right now, it's in the shed and it's bloody cold outside! ;-) ) and the iron also says "Craftsman" instead of "Stanley."

If you're looking for a user as opposed to a museum-piece, look around for these! I got it for $28 plus shipping and there are NO cracks around the mouth!

sapwood

New User
Roger
Another savy shopper :icon_thum
Can't wait to see pixs of your find . . . but I'm willing to wait considering the weather. ;-)

Roger

Steve W

New User
Steve
I'll try to get a pic. It's out in the shop and I'm waiting for the temps to come back up to tolerable levels. That's another of my new projects to come soon: insulate and get one of those 240V heaters I saw in response to another of my posts.

The guy described it perfectly, saying the iron was short but actually it is longer than what I expected and it will probably last longer than me anyway. It has some roughness on the movable sole plate but that doesn't bother me - I bought it to use and not to put into a display case.

SSuther

New User
Stan
I've got a Craftsman version of a Stanley #78 that looks like it came from the same mold except for the Craftsman name on the body and blade. Very substantial and works great.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS