An Alternative to the Classic Adirondack Chair

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave Richards

Dave
Senior User

Well, here's a fairly recent model I did. It's Michael Fortune's Garden Chair which featured on the cover of the latest issue of Fine Woodworking Magazine and a Video Workshop series. While not specifically designed to be built using CAM or CNC methods, It uses some ideas that could carry over to digitally controlled equipment. Some of the curves such as the one at the top of the crest rail could be CNC cut as could the other joinery. Or, if you aren't into that sort of thing, of course you can do it like Fortune shows it. :D

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Are the parts steam bent or laminated?

i like the look but not sure I would have time to build a set.

Dave Richards

Dave
Senior User
As mark said, all the bent parts are laminated. All but the front seat slat and the top back rest slat are bent up with wide enough pieces to get out two slats Fortune stacks two sets of laminations on the form at one time.

Dave Richards

Dave
Senior User
Bill, full size plans for that chair should be available soon. I think they are at the printer now. It includes full size patterns for the bending forms as well as for the backrest uprights, stretchers and the curves on the seat slats.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
The video series is really instructive. There are layout templates galore and some very interesting joinery along the way. You'd better bring your A game to this project x 2.

Mr. Fortune must have gone through many design iterations before finalizing the plans.

pviser

New User
paul
I, too, have studied this chair. The bent lamination interests me, and someday I will try to tackle this. I am impressed that you have done this so soon after its being published in FWW magazine and also online in the video series. Michael Fortune is a delightful person (FWW Live 2012, 2013) and a master of the art of furniture with curved pieces, both steam-bent and lamination. Is your chair ready to photograph? Please share!

Dave Richards

Dave
Senior User
I am impressed that you have done this so soon after its being published in FWW magazine and also online in the video series.

Paul, the drawing of the chair is from the SketchUp model which I drew prior to the publication of the articles in the magazine and the video workshop series. I used the model to create the plans which I mentioned above.

Is your chair ready to photograph? Please share!

"My chair" only exists in digital form. I haven't built one of these. I like the design but I have way too many other things to build before I'd ever get around to this chair. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS