Ambrosia Maple Platter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave Peterson

New User
Dave
This is Ambrosia Maple and was reclaimed from a swamp in 2011 (but not by me). The blank started out as 2.25 X 17" X 20", and was cut to 15.5" diameter. In the last photo, you can see the blank, and there is about 3/8" clearance from the deck. The finished product is 14 5/8" diameter, and 1 7/8" tall. The center medallion is a copper coin (not legal tender), resembling a Indian/Buffalo nickel, but it is the size of a silver dollar. I found it in a coin shop (or that eBig auction site) for $3 each. It is inlaid flush to the surface. The Indian side is dated 2013, so I went with that side. Sanded to 2000 grit, and it has one coat of Minwax Tung finish on it so far (just finished it last night). C&C welcome!

Attachments

• AmbrosiaMapleTOP1.jpg
    AmbrosiaMapleTOP1.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 188
  • ambrosiaMaplebottom1.jpg
    ambrosiaMaplebottom1.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 184
  • mapleblank1.jpg
    mapleblank1.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 179

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Dave that is beautiful!
I really like the foot design...

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
Nice job Dave. Ambrosia maple looks awesome when finished

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
Really nice looking platter. That is some great wood. Neat it was salvaged wood. I'd love to see the log that was cut from. The last 'salvage' wood I got was at a serious premium. I think some people have a different definition of salvage than I do. Maybe they need a new term like buried treasure?? lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS