Ambrosia Maple Candlestick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nate Davey

New User
Nate
I wanted to make a candlestick like Rude Osolniks masterpiece. What I ended up with is a candlestick influenced by Rude Osolniks design. I was disappointed but the Minister of Finance, AKA Mrs Davey, likes it so now I'm happy. I also learned that, apparently, red wax is too costly to make an entire candle out of so they just coat the outside with red wax.:mad:

On this one I decide to try the Abranet variety pack my dad sent me for Christmas. Wow, I really like it. The pack came with 80, 120, 150, 180, 220, 320, 400 and 600 "grits" and the velcro backer. I see me going to this for all my sanding. I stopped at 400 and it was smooth as glass.

The candle stick is 11" long and about 2.5" in diameter at the base, Ambrosia Maple, with 3 coats of Deft Satin Lacquer.

Comments and criticism appreciated.

Ambrosia_Maple_Candle_Stick_01.jpg
Ambrosia_Maple_Candle_Stick_02.jpg

llucas

luke
Senior User
Nate

VERY classy...great form! Like you, I have been using the abranet (pretty pricey, but IMHO worth it)...covers up my inexperience with the gouge, and very effective in removing the little "ridges".
I have been turning some small end-grain candle-sticks, vases, end-grain. The stay "true" for about 3 weeks, then the warp sets in.

Did you turn this green? If so, do you anticipate some warping, or does the Deft seal it enough to prevent further drying?

Nate Davey

New User
Nate
Luke,

Spindle turning I do dry, bowls and such I do wet and if I want to maintain it's dry slowly the return. If I want it to warp and look funky I turn it wet to final thickness and roll the dice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS