Ambrosia Maple Bowl

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nate Davey

New User
Nate
Well, I'm not sure how to describe the shape of this. I was trying for an ogee, but it still seems a bit elusive for me. After turning the candle stick I was casting aimlessly about the shop trying to figure what I wanted to do next. My eyes rested on this piece I had cut into a blank and Anchorsealed when I noticed it looked a bit like Jeff Bridges in The Big Lobowski, all grey bearded and grizzled. The wood was moist, not wet or dry, so I turned it to final thickness which for me is pretty thin. Then over night it warped a bit then I finished it with 4-5 coats of Deft Satin Lacquer and three wheel buffed. The bowl is 8" x 2.5".

I like the pith at the edges and the wood but not a big fan of the abrupt convex curve.

Photo was shot without flash f8, shutter speed 2 seconds.

Comments and criticism appreciated.

Ambrosia_Maple_Bowl_01.jpg

Dragon

New User
David
Criticism? Not from me you won't. That looks super to me. Then again, I'm no prefessional wood turner or art critic either. I've had a lathe and some tools now for over a year and still haven't had enough free time to try my hand at this spinny stuff. Seen some really nice work from a lots of folks on here too. I'm kinda partial to the Ambrosia Maple anyway since I've got it running out my ears here. Once the weather warms a little bit more I hope to finally get some of my pieces done and posted here. Anyway, I like the way your bowl looks and for my .02, keep it up.:icon_thum:eusa_dancLookin' good to me!!

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
Nice piece and a great chunk of wood. Keep up the good work.

There is no right or wrong, and never enough - but always too much - so easy to tell after the fact! As soon as the bowl turns into a funnel or goes flying across the room - that is THAT MUCH too much...
Bowls can be tricky to find the ideal shape. I don't know that it exists.
I look at pottery a lot to find shapes I like. I find I see more that I don't think are right than I do that are..... but that's just me. I let the wood and the character tell me the shape more often than I do trying to bring a piece to a shape I have decided on.

cskipper

Cathy
Sharp looking bowl. I think it is not unusual to experience warping is not unusual with wet wood, especially when turned to final thickness.

Last edited:

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Nate, that looks pretty cool.

It's funny, I look at that bowl and I envision it - turned over - as a lamp. Do you recall the old barn style lighting that had green porcelain enamel lamp shades hanging below a goose necked shaped pipe that was commonly used about 80 years ago? That shape reminds me of them.

Seems to me that something shaped like this would make a very interesting and unique wall lamp. The neck could also be turned wood (as well as the base), and the tubing could be polished brass.

Maybe I'm weirding out a bit - it's early!

At any rate, nice bowl!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS