Ambrosia Burled Maple

Status
Not open for further replies.

liftnaleg1

New User
Chris
Have you guys ever seen burled Ambrosia Maple? I came across a tree today walking throught the woods that is 5 feet across and 60 ft tall (estimate) and the whole tree is a burled from bottom / up every limb...I cut a hunk out of it and it is Maple burl with Ambrosia steaks running through it... You want believe it until you see it...The tree is as wide as my 500cc 4wheeler and has to be 50-60' tall,,,When I mean burl it has knots the whole way around it... over lapping each other covering 100% of the tree...It is freaky looking...I have pics, and I'm waiting for the wife to get the kids in the bed and load them so I can post them. What would a tree like this be worth. I'm thiking of harvesting the whole tree to a wood supplier. Ofcourse after I get all of us some of it.:icon_thum

Guys I can't seem to find the icon for adding pics...I'm going to start a new thread and see if this let's post pics I guesss....Same title

woodArtz

New User
Bob
Chris the anticipation is killing me :wink_smil. I can't wait to see what you found. Of course, I want some if you get it down. :icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum

boxxmaker

New User
Ken
Give ya 5 bucks :gar-Bi can't wait to see the pics.I would say you may retire with this tree :icon_cheers:icon_cheers:icon_cheers

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew
That is just awesome, I can't wait to see the pictures... I mean after seeing DaveO's Cherry Burl Bowl that he just posted, I am loving it! And would love some as well.

Sincerely,

liftnaleg1

New User
Chris
Guys I'm unable to post pics...I can not find a Icon to add pics from Desktop...All I can find is Attach image with a HTTP location. If someone can help that would be great...:dontknow:

M

McRabbet

Chris,

Your pictures are very small and as such are hard for folks to see. You can upload any sized pictures you want (Mine are generally 2304 x 1728 pixels) and the system will create optimal (smaller) sizes for them when posted, but it won't expand them. You might want to read the infor in the FAQs forum on posting pictures, too. Those burls are beautiful and everyone will want a closer look.

Here's an example from one of my albums in my Gallery -- taken at last October's Klingspor Extravaganza -- I'm the hefty dude in the back row left.

100_5159.jpg

Dragon

New User
David
Looking at your gallery pics, it looks like some really cool wood but the pics are kinda small. You're in Catawba? I'm in Lincolnton right near Maiden if you'd like some help bringing that baby in.:banana: I've got loads of Ambrosia Maple here in the backyard, some of it spalted. Only spotted one that may have a fair degree of burl in it but what I have cut down has some outstanding grain patterns. PM me if you're interested/would like some help/labor in exchange for some wood. I'd be mostly interested in the stump end and maybe one or two fair sized logs to make tables out of. I always save the cut-outs and try to dry them for later use in some other project so I've gotta bunch of leftovers that are in various stages of drying.

liftnaleg1

New User
Chris
I would love to come over and trade you some Burled Cherry and Dogwood for some Ambrosia Maple...I have been chompping at the bit to turn some Ambrosia....I work from home and can come over anytime...I live on Startown and 321 intersection. Give me a call tomorrow if you can 828-994-7333.

As far as the tree I'm going to try and talk to the owner and see if he would mind if I cut it down or not...He hasn't said no to me yet so we will see. If I get the thumbs up i wil put out a message for all the help I can get. I would say the base or trunk is 72 to 80" across atleast I know when I wrapped my arms around it I was only a 3rd of the way around it...I don't know anyone with a saw long enough to go half way thru this thing...You are going to need a 40" bar plus to even get close...

liftnaleg1

New User
Chris
GUys it turns out I cut the big tree and it is BURLED, BIRDS EYE Maple.....with some Ambrosia marks running through it...I have added a add for sale section and will be posting pcs of PCS w/ dim. and Price to the for sale section. The PCS have numbers on them and you can let me know if there is a number you want.

Kyle

New User
Kyle Edwards
That looks like Acer rubrum..and it looks nicely burled although the birdseye usually is reserved for hard maple which is a rarity around here unless planted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS