Air filtration system placement

Status
Not open for further replies.

stoney

New User
Tony
Good evening everybody,

I am about to finish my home made air filtration system and would like some input on where to place it. The measurements are 16.5" wide, 25" tall and 20" long and I have attached some pictures. I initially planed to suspend it from the ceiling using eye hooks and chain but decided that since I made it using biscuit joinery I didn't think it would hold together with just the top piece of wood supporting all the weight.

I then decided to use it as a floor based system with a cord extended from the inside to plug into a receptacle using a timer which I would have mounted to the unit to turn it on. The output would be directed upward and the intake would be on both sides.

Now back to option 1. While at work today I stopped in the local Lowe's and grabbed some 36 inch long threaded rods and some other hardware because I'm now thinking that I can run the rods from the top through the box to the bottom and then secure them to the ceiling with chain thus putting all the weight on the rods and eye hooks.

My question to you all is what do you all believe is the best placement of an air filtration system? I know that someone said that dust is heavier than air and will float to the ground thus a floor unit would be good, but if there is an air source to circulate the air will the system have a better chance of getting the dust if it is suspended? As far as looks are concerned the unit will (IMHO) look good either way. I just want to get the most efficiency out of it.

Thanks

Tony

IMG_31441.JPG

View image in gallery

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
That is a BIG fan, a very BIG fan. I would suspect you would have no trouble moving enough air. Being as big as the fan is and the weight, I would mount it to the ceiling.

JMTCW.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Ceiling, but..........
Get some discharge duct on the unit. Otherwise the air will just blow out the fan and loop back around to the filter without moving around the room. You might also want to consider a grille that can direct the air where you want it.

RandyJ

Randy
Corporate Member
Nice job, Tony.:thumbs_up

JDS recommends a height of 8-10 feet. Locate along the longest wall of your shop about 1/3 of the distance from a corner and 12-24 inches from the side wall. This will create a circular air flow for the best efficiency.

stoney

New User
Tony
I plan on putting a filter and a grill on the output so I can have an extra filter and also some resistance to the outgoing air.

Glennbear

Glenn
My original air filter was shop built using a similar sized blower belt driven by a 1/2 hp motor. I now have a commercial air cleaner. Based upon my experiences I offer the following YMMV :

1. Ceiling mounted is better so that you do not stir up so much of the gunk that has already fallen to the floor.

2. If possible when choosing filter media look at the pleated paper 4" thick ones used in Honeywell type whole house air cleaners (the Borg sells them). A blue fiberglass wool prefilter will make your main filter last longer between changes/cleaning. They also sell metal/plastic mesh washable filters that can be used as pre filters.

3. I had similar concerns about mounting the chains on the top and just ran angle iron underneath at each end and ran my chains up the side.

4. As Dennis said a louver is a good idea and I would have my intake and discharges at opposite ends of the box if possible.

5. From what I have read ceiling placement in a rectangular type shop is best off to one side about 1/3 of the distance down the length of a sidewall. This seems to result in a circular flow around the shop. Also keep in mind those areas which generate the most fine dust.

I hope I did not "dustcloud" your questions too much :gar-La;

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Nice job, Tony.:thumbs_up

JDS recommends a height of 8-10 feet. Locate along the longest wall of your shop about 1/3 of the distance from a corner and 12-24 inches from the side wall. This will create a circular air flow for the best efficiency.

+1 that is the best, you want the exhaust to help circulate the air around your shop. You want it high to capture the particles before they settle. That is how I have my filter set up and I have seen a marked reduction in the dust that settles on all horizontal surfaces since. It also helps to have a timer and allow the filter to run for a few hours after you leave the shop

MTCW,
Dave:)

M

McRabbet

I concur with RandyJ and Glennbear's comments about fan placement and would add that you might want to take advantage of the multi-speeds of this HVAC fan. Joe Scharle posted a great thread last March about HVAC Blower Motors (see his thread at http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/f81/hvac-blower-motors-21762/) that detailed the three speed color codes for you fan and ones like it. I have nearly the same fan and wired the Red and Blue leads to a three-position 10A Toggle Switch (On-Off-On) from Radio Shack that gives me the low and medium speeds. It does move some serious air!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors