Advice on Dewalt 12V drill for sale

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeH

New User
Mike
I found this drill for sale on CL for $20. I've tentatively agreed to buy it. It looks like a pretty good deal.

Does anyone see any reason why I shouldn't?

Thanks,

T

toolferone

Mike, That is a DW972 drill. I have worked on 100's of them. I have one now. It is a older model with the metal box and the yellow charger. The date code is stamped on the inside where the battery goes. will be the 2 digit year and 2 digit week (ie: 9734 = 34th week of 1997). Also know that the price of 2 new batteries is about the price of the kit with 2 batteries. There was a few issues with the bronze bushing at the back of the motor coming out and the carbon brush mounts getting hot and melting. Not trying to scare you off. When I was in repair people would ask my opinion of a tool, my response was "don't ask me the only ones I see are broke" LOL. Though the price is hard to beat. Let me know if I can be any more help.

Last edited by a moderator:

alleng

New User
allen
mike,i have a 12 volt dewalt drill,mine was bought in 2000 if memory serves me correctly.mine seems to have plenty of power with a GOOD charged battery.the two that came with it went bad,so i got a new one from lowes.they aint cheap my friend! but there is a post on here about rebuilding batteries,looks to be about half price of a new on.i tried to take one of the older ones apart after reading that post.the newer batts have screws holding them together,older ones are glued,and difficult to get appart,the method i used was a screwdriver and knife,there is still a bloodtrail in the shop,and the gash in my finger is healing:oops: .what im trying to say is BE CAREFUL IF YOU TRY THIS!

ashley_phil

Phil Ashley
Corporate Member
I'd be leary of it w/both batteries needing replaced. YOu'll easily have another $ 40 in replacing one or repairing the (2) he's got.

I have that model and got it new in 1997 and while I'm not a contractor mine has seen significant use. My batteries aren't dead so I assume his has been well-used over the same time frame.

The one problem i have with mine is the collet spins free. I'm told its simply a screw loose but i haven't taken it apart to look still works like a champ.

I'd hold out for one in working order in that price range.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Mike,

I just picked up a 13.2V Bosch with charger and 2 batteries that wouldn't hold a charge. I paid the guy $10.00 and had the batteries rebuild by Jason Abel of Battery Rebuilders. My rebuild ran at about $60.00.

Drill runs like new now.....If the drill itself and chuck are ok, I may be inclined to check the battery rebuild cost at:
Battery Rebuilders Battery Builders www.batteryrebuilders.com

May be worth checking out....

Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS