Advice on carving tools

Status
Not open for further replies.

Weekendworrior

New User
Bill
I only desire what fits my needs and my budget. I have no desire to carve statues or carve many intricate works into furniture on a regular basis. When there is a call for it, I'll mainly be doing relief type carvings and mostly pretty basic stuff at that. There has to be a decent set out that that fits my needs for less than $70. I'd like to hear from experienced users of the "cheap stuff". $16 "professional" ebay crap scares the bajeebus out of me.

Thanks in advance.

~Bill

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
I like Flexcut tools and think this is a good starter set.
http://www.amazon.com/Flexcut-Carve...8&qid=1371730525&sr=8-2&keywords=flexcut+5+pc

They come sharp and ready to use. Make your own handles. Just shape some scrap wood to a shape you like and drill a 3/8" hole in the end. Easy if you drill 5 holes about 2" apart in the side of a 6/4 board and then cut and shape them. No need to glue them in.

Or, I have this set that I bought from Little Shavers that you can have for $25. Personally I don't care for palm tools but that's just personal opinion. Many folks use nothing else.
Screen Shot 2013-06-20 at 8.03.35 AM.jpg

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
You should try Flexcut tools before buying them somehow. Some people like them and others (like me) don't care for the flexibility of the shafts and prefer more traditional full size tools, not palm tools.

You only really need 3 or 4 carving chisels to do the kind of work you're talking about. A V-tool, and say a #3 x 12mm and a 12mm flat chisel. Add a #5 12-20mm for some versatility. You can always add to the set as your needs progress.

If you were near Pittsboro, I'd suggest you visit Ed at the tool shop above the Woodwright's School. He has an excellent selection of used carving tools for good prices. At least he did last time I was there.

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
It's not about the tools but more about how you use them. I started off with this set of Grizzly tools and later added a few expensive Pfeil chisels to fill in the gaps.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/12-pc-Carving-Chisel-Set/H2930

Nice Chair!!! :icon_thum
I didn't know Girz had chisels. That set looks pretty good.

The thing about Flexcut tools is that if you're used to "normal" gouges you probably won't like Flexcut. Yes, they flex. That's the point. The technique is a little different but easy to get used to. One big advantage is that you can buy individual gouges (without handle) for around $10. Make your own handle and you're ready to go. That vs. at least $35 per for Pheil tools.

Weekendworrior

New User
Bill
Thanks for all the suggestions and input. The few current carving tools I'm using are "flex" and homemade from old saw blades. It's all about technique--understandably--but so far I feel I have more control with the flex as oppose to the rigid. The flex seemed to add a new element....like going to a 5 axis milling machine.

Willemjm: The chair and your skills are insane. N V U.

PeteM, you've got a PM.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS