Advice on best use of Walnut Log.

Status
Not open for further replies.

llucas

luke
Senior User
Answered an CL listing today for a walnut log....planning to make some bowls. But I got this...

10'10" long and 23" at base, 19" at top.

IMG_04252.jpg

View image in gallery

More than enough for bowls....might even be a SIN to use it for bowls....
I am now thinking of other uses...mainly having it milled into boards for furniture.
I really don't want to "ruin" a good log and will prolly be making some furniture in the upcoming year.

...reportedly cut live this year...no bugs noticeable, bark is coming off so it is not that fresh, but no punk or rot at all.

What do you guys thinks is BEST USE of this log?

DWSmith

New User
David
Call Scott Smith. I'm sure he can come up with an idea on how to mill it for the best results.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Walnut is fairly decay resistant, so even if it's been laying on the ground for a few years, it's probably still sound. And I agree, it would be a shame to cut a beautiful log like that up into bowl blanks.

As David said, Scott Smith (scsmith42) is not that far south of you in New Hill, and can mill it any way you want.

Bill

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
As for bowl stock, what did the guy do with the stump? Many times there is as much demand for the stump as for the trunk.

llucas

luke
Senior User
Don't know about the stump...apparently a friend doing some construction in Va. brought the log to the fellow I got it from. A walnut stump/roots surely would be interesting to turn.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Luke, seem to me that I owe you a favor for some white oak logs that you dropped by.... let's chat when you get a chance.

Scott

llucas

luke
Senior User
A BIG thank you to Scott Smith...not only did he agree to help me get the best use from that walnut log, but he gave me a well-needed education on more than a few aspects of wood preparation, selection and use...(not to mention, taking lots of time to help me pick out some WO for upcoming projects!)
Another BAD but GOOD part of my visit was seeing all Scott's tools/toys and getting the urge to upgrade my jointer...and TS...and planer....and...well, Christmas IS coming...and I really don't want to ruin really good wood with inferior tools...right?
What would Bas do?

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
A BIG thank you to Scott Smith...not only did he agree to help me get the best use from that walnut log, but he gave me a well-needed education on more than a few aspects of wood preparation, selection and use...(not to mention, taking lots of time to help me pick out some WO for upcoming projects!)
Another BAD but GOOD part of my visit was seeing all Scott's tools/toys and getting the urge to upgrade my jointer...and TS...and planer....and...well, Christmas IS coming...and I really don't want to ruin really good wood with inferior tools...right?
What would Bas do?

Luke, it's always great to see you, and thanks for the kind words as well as for your sage advice about cattle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors