Advice on Bandsaw Blades

Status
Not open for further replies.

maltedone

New User
Ted
I'd like some good advice on bandsaw blades. I recently acquired a Grizzly 16" G1073 saw, which came with a 1/2" blade. It takes 113" blades from 1/4" to 1". I assume that, like most blades that come with saws, the blade it came with is not a great blade, although it has been useful for set-up etc.

I'd like to buy a few blades to set myself up for cuts ranging from curved cuts in relatively thin stock such as 3/4" pine or plywood. For this, I was considering buying a 1/4" blade, and a replacement 1/2" blade with a somewhat higher tpi. I would also like to be able to cut larger stock and potentially do a little resawing. So, I was considering a 3/4" or 1" blade, with 2 - 3 tpi.

My challenge to you:

Tell me how I should spend $100 or so on a few blades. Please be as specific as you can (rake, hook, skip, tpi, and definitely source/vendor). I've done some reading and on-line shopping and came away overwhelmed and a little baffled.

Thanks,

Ted

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
I got the Viking 1/4" 6 TPI and 1/2" 4TPI blades, and they work good. The other details you ask for, I do not know.

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
I've heard Timber Wolfs are good. I have Wood Slicers and have been please with those. I've heard that 3/4" blades or bigger can be a PITA, but I think most of the folks that have had problems with those have 14" bandsaws. Yours may be able to accommodate them. I don't know a whole lot about BS blades, so hopefully a few other folks will jump in. :icon_thum

Ken Massingale

New User
Ken
Talk to John at woodcraftbands.com, tell him what you want to do and he'll suggest blades.
I was a Timberwolf fan for a few years but the last couple of years the TW's I've had weren't the same as earlier. The lengths of the blades and the welds aren't as accurate.
I like the Woodslicers from Highland and the Blade Runners from Iturra for resawing, but both dull quickly resawing thick stock.
A few months ago I tried a couple of bi-metal blades, a quarter inch for general use and a half inch for resawing, and I've found the blades I'll stick with. I've used both a heck of alot and both are still just like new. They're about twice the price of non bi-metal blades but for me are going to be less expensive in the long run.
If you call John he'll suggest the TPI and tooth set you need. I'm not associated with woodcraftbands except as a satisfied customer.

DavidF

New User
David
I also converted from Timber wolf to woodcraft bands because the TW were just going dull so quickly. The cut quality of the woodcraft was much better.
I know my bandsaw is smaller, but I did decide to go down from the maximum 1/2" to a 3/8" because I felt I couldn't fully tension the 1/2" to perform at it's best. the correctly tensioned 3/8" gives a far superior cut - lesson is, don't believe the max width they say the saw can handle, it might fit on the wheels and between the guides but can the frame handle the tension. I have resawed to the max height of my saw (6") with the new 3/8" blade and the result was just fine.

3TPI and 4TPI skip is what I generally use. 6tpi for thin stock. You need min 3 teeth in the stock at all times. Too many generates too much heat and the dust can't clear so chose dependent on your normal needs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS