Advice on a new project

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhythm House Drums

New User
Kevin
So I'm wanting to start something that's probably pretty simple... but I have just recently acquired a lathe and have some questions...

Here is something similar to what I'm wanting to do...
15937_1246086385753_1037210802_2748092_4447050_n.jpg

15937_1246085985743_1037210802_2748091_324051_n.jpg

These are "plugs" or "eyelets", for the hollow ones... or earrings.. I have my ears stretched to fit about a 1" plug like above. I had these custom made for me out of an African Hardwood called Khadi, Also spelled Hare', and also known as Bala wood. They were made before I had a lathe.. Now I have one and want to make some of these... and actually have a little bit of this wood left.

I have a chuck with some small jaws.. if that would be the thing to use. I guess I'm looking for direction here. Would I start by doing a concave face on the end and then shape the cove around the plug? And when I break it off, would I just lightly put it back in the chuck to concave the other face? Would it make sense to do the spindle the width of two plugs, and then shave the coves for each and then part them and finish the faces?

I've really just had the lathe for about a week... so I'm super new. Any videos people have seen that might relate to this and help me out? I have a few EWT chisels but no parting tool... maybe I should get one?

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS