Adventures in the woods :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Well today I got back in the woods out at Jims... We cut a monster RO that didn't come back this year and was standing dead. Just imagine a real forest red oak with a trunk WAY up there. To get the wedge out of the butt required some creative chainsawing, my 20" bar would not meet up in the middle :eek: so I had to cut the wedge out in thirds. We aimed for a clearing and it fell pretty much where we planed but as it was falling it hooked up with another huge red oak and pulled that one up by the root ball - geeze nothing like a little excitement hu?. The one that got pulled up by the root ball missed the bobcat by about a foot - I thought I had that thing parked far enough away, just barley... That was the first tree of the day...

The second another monster RO, we studied, The butt is just as huge and looks to be burl. The branches in the top of this tree a good 50 foot up, reach out in all directions. Hard to tell where that one would fall. So we decided to hack away at that one another day, when we are stocked up with wedges (didn't have any today) I need to make some up in the shop.

The third tree... a big ole tall yellow poplar with the top blown out of it. We cut that one and it's was still standing when I left... how? I have no idea but it is, the first wind to come along will take it down, I'm sure...

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Sounds like a [STRIKE]fun[/STRIKE] drawers soiling day. In addition to the wedges you should remember a camera ;)

Dave:)

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Jeff, I don't think that those logs will fit on your LT40....

When should I drive up to pick them up? :gar-La;

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Have you and Jim given up on the white oaks down in the river bottom? I thought Jim had some farming neighbors in Berea with decent size tractors who could skid the logs uphill to the 'Mizer. Just curious.

BTW I made a really nice bookcase from some of the QSRO that we cut last summer. Nice wood to say the least.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Have you and Jim given up on the white oaks down in the river bottom? I thought Jim had some farming neighbors in Berea with decent size tractors who could skid the logs uphill to the 'Mizer. Just curious.

BTW I made a really nice bookcase from some of the QSRO that we cut last summer. Nice wood to say the least.

You talking about those massive WO's down in the ravine on the river bank? Yeah sorry but that's a long ways down there and a very steep grade. I'm afraid they are gonna have to stay down there... I'm sure the river will swallow them up come next flood.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
I checked on that refuse to fall poplar today - guess what despite the week of thunder storms we had - it's still standing :icon_scra This tree has convinced me I'm going to have to practice strap and wedge cutting. Any advise?

Strap_cut.JPG

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Yeah, those are the ones. No problem. I can appreciate the logistical challenge of trying to get those honkers uphill. Despite us, Newton's Laws of Gravity still apply.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS