A weird bandsaw day!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BillPappas

New User
Bill
On Sunday I finally got into the shop to work on a cradle. I had some 8/4 cherry that needed to be resawed. First piece went fine, the 5/8 Lee Valley cut through no problem...I really like this blade and have gotten good use out of it over the last few years. The next piece, well it got hard to push about half way though which is when I noticed the blade was tracking off the front of the wheel and had hit something and taken all the set out of the teeth. So I replace the blade, ensure it is tracking ok and cut the next piece...no problem. I turn around to grab the next piece and hear the bandsaw (still running) make some weird noises so I turn it off. Turn it on and nothing is turning but it is making noise, turn it off spin the wheels no problem. I figure the belt must have jumped or gotten loose. Go to the belt and find the pulley is slipping, the set screw is loose and the key is gone from the shaft. I found the key, put it back together and proceed on to cut the next few pieces. I had 2 - 11 inch wide pieces left, the first piece cut ok. The last piece was going ok but at some point halfway through the blade tracked off again and it got trashed but I did get through the last piece with it trashed. It was just one of those bandsaw days! Time to really tune the bandsaw up I guess, maybe make its day and invest in new tires for the wheels.:eusa_danc:eusa_danc

Thanks for listening to my moaning!

Bill

adowden

Amy
Corporate Member
Boy do I know what you mean! You don't know whether to be happy that you got through with what you need to or frustrated that everything was being so difficult.

I had a weird thing happen to me this weekend while doing resawing. I was resawing twenty 6" to 8" wide boards of oak. Somewhere in the middle of one board I noticed it was much harder to feed the board through. After the cut, I tried to spin the wheels and they would not spin easily. It turns out that the European nuts on the bottom guides had loosened and pinched the blade. Luckily it was no-harm-no-foul and I got through all the cuts with the crummy Minimax blade. I still haven't saved up enough to order more blades after my TiC blade jumped off when a cutoff got stuck in the factory insert (after 1 week of use :BangHead:).

Another weird thing that happened a while back was that the fan on the motor slipped off and made an aweful sound hitting the housing. That was easy to fix but a bit stressful until I figured it out and made sure the motor was O.K.

Good luck with your tune-up!

Amy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS