A sticky question...

Status
Not open for further replies.

jerrye

New User
Jerry
I need to adhere a piece of indoor/outdoor carpet to 1/2" CDX ply. This will be used as a chair mat for my wife in her craft room. What adhesive would the BORG collective suggest I use? Is there any specific or special prep work that I should do to the ply? I tried some carpet adhesive that a sales clerk suggested at the store where I got the carpet, but the carpet just peels off of the ply. TIA.

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
This is thinking out loud, not specific experience...

I would be really tempted to use Gorilla Glue or some other PU for this. I know it would foam a little and that the gap filling strength is weak because of the foam but I think it would have good contact in enough spots to stay put and it would not wick into the bottom of the carpet as bad as some other choices. Something that wicks in will harden the carpet a bit.

EDIT - thinking further, a PU based construction adhesive like PL Premium would probably be what I tried.

Last edited:

cpw

Charles
Corporate Member
I need to adhere a piece of indoor/outdoor carpet to 1/2" CDX ply. This will be used as a chair mat for my wife in her craft room. What adhesive would the BORG collective suggest I use? Is there any specific or special prep work that I should do to the ply? I tried some carpet adhesive that a sales clerk suggested at the store where I got the carpet, but the carpet just peels off of the ply. TIA.

My first thought was contact adhesive that you would use for linoleum (probably because I have most of a quart left over from doing repairs when we sold our house), but I don't know what the distillates would do to the carpet backing. I'd experiment with it.

Cheers,
Charles

farmerbw

Brian
Corporate Member
Hot glue?:eusa_thin Is this going to be a piece of ply that will placed on top of the floor or is it the floor itself you want to attach to? If this a separate piece of ply that will go on top of the floor why not wrap the carpet around the edges of the ply and staple them to the bottom. There may develop some slack or movement in the carpet with this method if you'd be using a chair with wheels on it.

Brian.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Why not use carpet tape? If you've ever used the stuff to attach a template to a workpiece, you'll know it's impossible to get off!

zapdafish

New User
Steve
Why not use carpet tape? If you've ever used the stuff to attach a template to a workpiece, you'll know it's impossible to get off!
I kinda assumed carpet adhesive was carpet tape otherwise I am not sure how carpet wouldn't just soak the stuff up. It's funny you should mention this, I was cursing up a storm last night trying to separate something from my template. Can't risk prying without damaging the template or the work piece. Learned my lesion and started using really small pieces to attach them.

nn4jw

New User
Jim
I've used carpet tape to stick down indoor/outdoor carpet to a concrete patio and it held up longer than the carpet did. Several years in the weather. I like it better than Liquid Nails (which I've also used) because it doesn't leave residue that's almost impossible to get off after old carpet is removed. Of course, if you replace the carpet then Liquid Nails residue isn't an issue and it will hold very well.

jerrye

New User
Jerry
I knew there would be great advice. The method chosen is...well, since I have an 18v Ryobi stapler... ;) :D

DONE!!!!!

Thanks tons group!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS