A sanding solution for a Hegner scroll saw

Status
Not open for further replies.

cskipper

Cathy
I used to use the sanders (like the one in the back in the following picture):

These were great for smoothing out "wobbles" or messy places that "occasionally" happen when scrolling, and they worked exceptionally well on my old Delta saw. Unfortunately they won't fit in any clamps for the Hegner - even the largest one I could find. Then it occurred to me that there should be a way to just use sandpaper, but it needed to be sturdy enough to work. If I cut off the ends of the others they were too short (which is a shame since I have many packs of those). the belts I use on my sanding sticks (see below) are fairly sturdy so I cut one and inserted it directly into the largest clamps I have for the Hegner.

Here's how it looks:

I had to adjust the tension, but it works wonderfully well. Plus this solution is much more cost effective than the sanders pictured above. They came 4 to a pack for about $7. The sanding belts will make two "sanders", maybe three if I use the next larger size. Klingspor belts have more in a pack than other vendors, have more choices in grits and cost less than the ones I had been using.
I'm doing a happy dance! :eusa_danc:eusa_danc:eusa_danc

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
I think that'll work on my Hawk too! Just slip some 3/4 ply under your stock when the grit wears out and use the middle of the strip. Then switch it around and use the other half of the strip.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
I used to use the sanders (like the one in the back in the following picture):

These were great for smoothing out "wobbles" or messy places that "occasionally" happen when scrolling, and they worked exceptionally well on my old Delta saw. Unfortunately they won't fit in any clamps for the Hegner - even the largest one I could find. Then it occurred to me that there should be a way to just use sandpaper, but it needed to be sturdy enough to work. If I cut off the ends of the others they were too short (which is a shame since I have many packs of those). the belts I use on my sanding sticks (see below) are fairly sturdy so I cut one and inserted it directly into the largest clamps I have for the Hegner.

Here's how it looks:

I had to adjust the tension, but it works wonderfully well. Plus this solution is much more cost effective than the sanders pictured above. They came 4 to a pack for about $7. The sanding belts will make two "sanders", maybe three if I use the next larger size. Klingspor belts have more in a pack than other vendors, have more choices in grits and cost less than the ones I had been using.
I'm doing a happy dance! :eusa_danc:eusa_danc:eusa_danc

Patent it :widea:

MT native

New User
Jane
Cathy,
Very clever idea. You should submit this to Woodcarving Illustrated and Scrollsawer for their "Tips" pages. You might win a prize.

Jane

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS